Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is the airbag module the same as the sdm?

jagass

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina s2 5.7l
help please I have a fault 162 history sdm internal fault

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Yes, Holden calls the airbag module a Sensing and Diagnostic Module. Are you sure the error code is 162 and not 163?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The list of SRS codes I have in the max Ellery VT to VZ workshop manual only go from code 13 up to code 161. Although there is a code 247 that is shown a few times for different things, don't know why that is??. This is supposed to be for SDM versions 8.0 and 8.1..

The code 247 shows a few different things-
Drivers airbag circuit power error.
Passenger airbag circuit power error.
Left seat seatbelt pre tensioner circuit power error.
Right seat seatbelt pre tensioner circuit power error.
Left side, side airbag circuit power error.
Right side, side airbag circuit power error.

This book also shows code 55 as the SDM internal failure

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
fault 162 is not listed but as blackvxgts mentioned fault 163 is SDM internal fault

jagass

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina s2 5.7l
my mates launch scan tool read it as code 162. will a vetronix gm tech2 work to find the fault. its an ls1 motor

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
The list of SRS codes I have in the max Ellery VT to VZ workshop manual only go from code 13 up to code 161. Although there is a code 247 that is shown a few times for different things, don't know why that is??. This is supposed to be for SDM versions 8.0 and 8.1..

The code 247 shows a few different things-
Drivers airbag circuit power error.
Passenger airbag circuit power error.
Left seat seatbelt pre tensioner circuit power error.
Right seat seatbelt pre tensioner circuit power error.
Left side, side airbag circuit power error.
Right side, side airbag circuit power error.

This book also shows code 55 as the SDM internal failure

Sounds like the Ellery manual has a mix of SDM 6.2 and 8.0/8.1. The Holden Maintenance CD shows code 55 as belonging to 6.2. Code 247 seems to be a general code for "Circuit Power Stage Errors" to a number of different devices which can then result in more device specific codes being set. If you take the driver's airbag device as an example:

"At ignition on, the SDM performs an initial system self check of the SDM power stages. If during this initial self test the SDM detects a fault with the driver’s air bag power stage a current DTC 247 Driver’s Air Bag Circuit Power Stage Error will set. On completion of the initial system self test the SDM then performs a test of the Driver’s Air Bag Circuit. If the SDM detects a problem with this circuit the associated Driver’s Air Bag
Circuit DTC will be set and the DTC 247 Driver’s Air Bag Circuit Power Stage Error will become a history DTC."

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
my mates launch scan tool read it as code 162. will a vetronix gm tech2 work to find the fault. its an ls1 motor

Yes it will, but it sounds fairly certain that you will need to replace the SDM. Don't know why the scan tool read 162, however, it's easy to misread a 3 for a 2 depending on the quality of the display on the scan tool (and how may scratches, dirty fingerprints etc. it has received during its life).

jagass

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina s2 5.7l
got a tech 2 today and checked the fault. its a 163 sdm internal fault im not sure how else I can find more. do you guys know what I should do next?