Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is the Cruze 1.8 litre the same engine as the AH Astra 1.8?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My daughter's 2010 Cruze has suffered a coil pack failure. Cost for a replacement is over $400. She ain't got the dough and neither have I at present. She just wants to get the thing going and get rid of it, so long term durability isn't an issue.

On E-bay, I can find a number of coil packs for the AH Astra 1.8 Ecotec, which I seem to recall is the same basic slug as the Cruze 1.8. Those coil packs are less than half the price of the Cruze one.

Can anyone advise whether the engines are the same and therefore, the coil packs might be interchangeable?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I thought the Astra 1.8 ecotec might have had a Opel sourced engine , the Cruze might be a Daewoo motor .:unsure:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I was under the same impression. If they are the same, the part number will be the same.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think the engines are based on the European Ecotec, but probably made in Korea. I recall when the Cruze was first released that there was reference to the 1.8 being carried over from the Astra. IIRC, the AH Astra carried over the same basic engine from the TS model, so if that's correct, it is getting pretty long in the tooth.

On E-bay, the two coil packs are available and the Astra version looks almost identical. To save any probs, I've put in a bid on the one Cruze pack that is listed. Recommended retail is around $435, which is obscene in my book. The used one on E-bay is $175 plus $25 postage, so that looks like the route we will take. As I said earlier, durability is no issue as the car will be getting flicked once it's fixed.

I have driven quite a few cars over the years and I can say that the early Cruze (pre Australian build) is the worst late model car I have ever driven. Its lack of power is incredible. I'm 194cm tall and the head and hip room is awful. How such a bloody awful car was ever released here is beyond me. Holden must have put in an astonishing amount of work to sort this dog out to get the car they sell today, but I can't help feeling that, like the Camira, the early version earned such a dud reputation that the much improved later models couldn't undo the damage.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
We had a 2009 Cruze for about 4 years and I thought it was a pretty good thing for what it was, albeit underpowered. It didn't give us any troubles and drove well till the day we traded it.

I test drove a late model (2013) Cruze when it was time to trade up, and thought it drove exactly the same. The only differences that I can recall were the front grille, rear diffuser and stereo / entertainment system.