Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is the steering more precise on Series 2 SSV REDLINE compared to SSV

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi fellow enthusiasts. I currently have a SSV My14 with eibach 30mm lowered springs & bilsteins. It handles nicely but am thinking of updating to a Series 2 SSV,either a Redline or a SSV.

Is the steering more precise on the SSV Redline compared with the SSV? My only real criticism of my MY14 is that the steering is a bit loose & vague in the straight ahead position. I know that the Redlines have 2 different steering modes & am interested in opinions of those who have tried both .

Thank you very much in advance for your responses as in my area I am unable to do back to back comparisons due to lack of cars available.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Hi fellow enthusiasts. I currently have a SSV My14 with eibach 30mm lowered springs & bilsteins. It handles nicely but am thinking of updating to a Series 2 SSV,either a Redline or a SSV.

Is the steering more precise on the SSV Redline compared with the SSV? My only real criticism of my MY14 is that the steering is a bit loose & vague in the straight ahead position. I know that the Redlines have 2 different steering modes & am interested in opinions of those who have tried both .

Thank you very much in advance for your responses as in my area I am unable to do back to back comparisons due to lack of cars available.

G'day mate. I have a redline edition, early 2014 model, and the steering has always felt a little lacklustre for my liking. Compared to an SV6, SS/SSV, it felt exactly the same - a bit sloppy and soft. Once put it into competition mode (as you have said, the redlines have two different steering modes), the steering feel changed dramatically (tighter, stiffer and more direct) and in my opinion, should have been the regular setting from the get-go. I drove one when they came out and felt the difference straight away compared to my car.

Anyway, back late last year, they released an updated SSV Redline and changed the steering (amongst a couple of other changes in suspension, etc). The steering was changed to be stiffer, tighter and more direct no standard setting, and then when switched to competition mode, it is almost double and very good. They specifically outlined the SSV/Calais/Evoke steering with different names to differentiate them.

As far as I am aware, VFII hasn't changed anything further and carries over this updated steering. It did get a few tweaks to the suspension amongst other things.

Having said all of this, I got an update on my car about a month ago to get the updated steering settings and it is way better. But I think it can only be done on the redline because of the 2 different settings.

Anyway, in answer to your question, yes, the steering is more precise and direct on current model VFII SSV Redlines than MY14 models. Not sure about SSV but I'm pretty sure they changed it a bit.

Cheers buddy and Merry Christmas.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
So the SSV doesn't have a "Competitive Mode" setting at all?