Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is there a way to check if pcv valve is stuffed without pulling motor apart?

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
is there any way i can check the operation of the pcv valve without all the drama of changing it? the reason i ask, is my v6 vt has a code 36 i cannot locate. the engine was replaced (not for this code), O2 sensors replaced all plugs and leads no manifold or injector leaks. no tb leaks or iac, tps or dirt issue there egr valve works ok (tested these parts with tech II). no hose or egr pipe leaks.
the car idles a few hundred rpm high. then when the fan comes on, it sets of the code 36 (vaccumm leak). it also flares up to nearly 1500 rpm then back to 200 rpm too high again, in park, after this code happens. the mechanic i have looking at it installed the lpg system (oh, its duel fuel :D). they are thinking its a tossup between the pcv valve, the pcm, or (and they suspect this mostly and want to work this next time) the wiring loom. the reason they said they suspected the wiring loom is, that they had to swap the injector wiring from one bank to the other side to get the car to run on petrol (before i replaced the motor prior). i guess they are thinking that the wiring change is stuffing with the pcm (can they check the entire pcm funtionality with a tech II tool also?)
anyway, hoping there is some simpler test i can do to check the pcv valve...... maybee blocking a pipe to the valve or something similar. that could at least eliminate that possibility, and i would feel more confident in their wiring loom idea. if i pay for another $300 job and it doesnt fix this ill sceaaammmm!!! (in my mind :D)
i hope someone knows some test trick anyway.
cheers all :blah blah:

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
is this an ecotec if so with the injector wiring on wrong sides will make it do weird stuff as it will be shooting gas at closed valves instead of open ones each injector plug can only goto 1 cylinder its designed to go to

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
jeez, thats actually totally obvious when you think about it for a second+
thanks man. thats a really good explanation. thats how my mechanic shoulda said it to me possibly. just as well he's a funny bugger and a nice bloke.... and maybee just a tad crazy :D (kieth linnel)
i still wouldnt mind checking the pcv if i can easily, but the wiring sound like it needs changing back for sure
thanks again delcowiz

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep, the ecotec has sequential injection, not like the older non ecotec. (I refuse to identify it as a Buick, they are both Buicks). If injector wiring has been swapped, then you are firing the injectors before the valves open. You have changed the injector sequence to 2 5 6 3 4 1, are the leads on the correct coil?

Last edited:

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i dunno now... just went and checked it then. all the leads go from the correct coil to the correct plug. i also looked at the injector terminals, and i dont see that the loom has swapped sides at all, cos the iac and tps wires can only be on one particular side (where the throttle body is). im prett sure they havent reversed them on the same side either. im pretty sure i've misunderstood the mechanics explanation. ill have to ask the guy again what it is he has done and what he has in mind to change back to how it was or whatever is going on, LOL.
im not letting him do anything unless he can explain it to me so i understand this time. i am capapble of understanding mechanical stuff to some degree, so he should be able to give me the gist of it i figure. oh, and with it making sense of course. haha
thanks for the idea of referencing if the leads where right or not NOT AN ABBA FAN

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That sequence is not right, only if the injector wiring has been swapped left to right, then that is the way the injectors would be firing when in fact they should fire 1 6 5 4 3 2.

*Edit: Right you are Brett, changed it to that. My brain was not on this morning.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The firing order of the buick and ecotec V6 is 1 6 5 4 3 2 .

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
or am I looking at spark partern
They're the same thing. Sure you're not looking at a cylinder diagram?

There are a bunch of Nissan and Toyota V6s that do. This channel demonstrates the Buick V6 (and other firing orders like that) really well:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There are no tricks, just good processes one should follow with engine swaps.

DiagnoseDan resolved a BMW engine idle issue which had confused many other mechanics and cost the owner bucket loads of cash. By checking connector wiring colours for the CAM phasers, he found the connectors were inserted into the wrong phaser. He swapped them so they were correct and all was peachy after than…

Not saying you have a cam phase issue but surely referral to a wiring diagram is the best way to confirm correct placement of wiring connectors on the correct component, especially after an engine swap. It’s a much better strategy than guessing and swapping looms/connectors around hoping to hit the correct combination.

I‘d expect the injector connector wire colours would be specified for each cylinder position... As such, referral to a wiring diagram would resolve any uncertainty and confirm correct placement of the connectors on the appropriate injectors. It’s a much better strategy than simply guessing and swapping looms/connectors across the valley.

In fact, after any engine swap, I’d check all sensors and components and confirm the expected wire colours are used… But it can get a little complex if Holden changed wire colours between years and ECU’s, etc.. I’d also check all vacuumed hoses and other mechanical bits are where they should be.

And never discount the odd things. If the donor engine was sitting in a wrecking yard for some time, I’d also check all hoses, openings, orifices and such didn’t have a family of bugs living in a hose, opening, orifice and such before the engine was actually installed. Easier to do such a once over before the engine is installed. Heck, wasps making a next in a pito tube has brought down a jet liner, so checking for such things may not be so bizarre :rolleyes:

Last edited: