Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there a way to disable the alarm but still lock the car?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
We're crossing the Cook Strait on the ferry. They have a requirement that the alarm be disabled.

Is there anyway to lock the car without the alarm being armed?

I'm guessing they're probably concerned about motion alarms as they also talk about disabling any towing alarms. Which leads me to another question. Does the ZB have a motion alarm or just an alarm that detects entry? If there's no motion alarm I'm guessing leaving the car alarm armed shouldn't be a problem.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
We're crossing the Cook Strait on the ferry. They have a requirement that the alarm be disabled.

Is there anyway to lock the car without the alarm being armed?

I'm guessing they're probably concerned about motion alarms as they also talk about disabling any towing alarms. Which leads me to another question. Does the ZB have a motion alarm or just an alarm that detects entry? If there's no motion alarm I'm guessing leaving the car alarm armed shouldn't be a problem.

The only alarm will be if you open the doors or bonnet, nothing motion or shock.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
According to the manual, the only way to achieve this is to lock the doors physically using the key (not the fob). I've never tried it, but it's simple enough to pop the cover and lock the door. I've done that a few times when programming a new fob.

Screenshot_20210618-063229.jpg

Not sure if that also disables any "motion" alarms though. I know there are two different alarms. A regular horn alarm and a separate one with a wail tone.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Thanks for the replies.

@Jack GS there's no information like that about the alarm in our Owners Manual. There's some good info in your post. I presume our alarm is the same.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
I presume our alarm is the same.
...One would think, but who knows lol

Odd the info isn't in your version of the manual. I looked that up in the Buick app for what it's worth. TANGENT: Do the Commodores have a similar app to access the manual and other stuff? If not, I wonder if the Buick app would work.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
...One would think, but who knows lol

Odd the info isn't in your version of the manual. I looked that up in the Buick app for what it's worth. TANGENT: Do the Commodores have a similar app to access the manual and other stuff? If not, I wonder if the Buick app would work.

There is no similar app. All we have is the printed Owners Manual. Nor do we have Onstar or an equivalent service. I'm pretty sure that's the same for across the ditch in Australia. Something like it was flagged as a future option but with the demise of Holden as a brand (thanks Mary:mad:) that died too.

The Buick app may well work. How would one get access to that?

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
The Buick app may well work. How would one get access to that?
You have to have an account, whether it's through Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, or GMC. You just download the corresponding app, sign into the app, sign into your account in the vehicle, and everything is linked up.

But, I'm not entirely sure if OnStar is required for that. Do you have accounts you can sign into in the Commodore?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
You have to have an account, whether it's through Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, or GMC. You just download the corresponding app, sign into the app, sign into your account in the vehicle, and everything is linked up.

But, I'm not entirely sure if OnStar is required for that. Do you have accounts you can sign into in the Commodore?
We don't have any account to sign into.

If you have to sign in from the vehicle then I'm guessing you need some form of connectivity to the outside world and probably something like Onstar which we don't have.

Is the app in the car or on your phone? If it's on the phone where do you download it from?

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
Is the app in the car or on your phone? If it's on the phone where do you download it from?
The app is on Google Play or the Apple store.

As far as the car side of things, there's no sort of profile you can set up? For if there's more than one driver for example?

Here's what the app looks like:
Screenshot_20210618-192943.jpg

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
As far as I know any profiles are set against the RKE fob. In other words the settings for that key fob are used to set infotainment settings and if equipped the memory seats etc. I don't think there is any profile settings as such in the "Personalisation" menu in the car.

Looking at the screen shot of the app it would appear it requires connectivity with the car. How is that achieved. Bluetooth or via the cellular network?