Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there any real reason for this ?

Finally got an SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III SS Ute
Hi folks ,
I noticed the power/economy switch in the VS ute I just bought wasn't doing anything at all , not even lighting up the "PWR" light on the dash. Strange thinks I , so I lift up the centre console and notice that the previous owner has disconnected the switch entirely . Not just that , but seems to have completely removed any trace of the wiring that should have been connected to it so now I can't even figure out where it should be connected to to try to make it work again...
First question for the more knowledgeable out there : Is there any reason why someone would do this ?
Second question : Where should it be connected to ? There's a couple of connectors nearby but I'm not big on guesswork.
Any help is appreciated ..
I did a forum search and didn't find anything to help , but I'm open to admit I'm wrong if someone points me to a previous post on the same problem.
Cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The power/economy switch should be connected to 3 wires, a Blue wire that goes to the ECU, a Blue/white wire that goes to the power/economy dashlight, and a Black wire that goes to earth.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
It is mainly used for towing I believe. My light goes on and off so the dash wire must be stuffed, I know it stays in power mode though as it will hold the gears a bit longer than economy. Generally while cruising it'll sit a gear higher as well. (So doing 2,000 rpm in 3rd at 80km/h sorta thing)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
without it connected it theoractically will be in eco mode as the ecu pin is left floating........ In saying that there is a chance it may switch randomly between the modes but it's highly unlikely.....

The way it's wired it uses the globe in the dash as a pull up resistor, the small voltage gettinng through globe raises the ecu/pcm pin high.
When pwr mode is selected it grounds both the ecu/pcm pin and the globe, turning the globe on and changing modes.

Near the pcm there is a small white plug joining the dash loom and engine harness, you want the blue wire here to hook up to change modes

Finally got an SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III SS Ute
Thanks for your help guys .. I appreciate it .
All I'm trying to do with my new toy is get it back to the way it came out of the factory and this will cross another thing of my luckily fairly short list of things to do.

onlockdrifter

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vs statesman series III
Sounds like the Ute has been converted from column shift to floor? Maybe that's why the wiring is non existent.

Finally got an SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III SS Ute
Interesting suggestion , but not likely unless there was such a thing as a column shift series 3 SS... which I don't think there was , but I could be wrong .
I haven't had a chance to get the console back apart again , but once I have a moment I'll be getting the switch all wired back up correctly .

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Possibly just that someone has had the console surround out and simply lost the wiring harness when they were putting it back together and could be bothered to pull it back apart to find it. You'll probably see it when you do look for it. I can't think of any reason to do other than simply disconnect it even if there was a problem with it (which I doubt there is).

Finally got an SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III SS Ute
Howdy folks ,
Apologies for bringing back this thread , but I just wanted to check something before I did it ...
Initially I connected wires from the PWR/ECO switch to the black and Blue/White wires in the connector shown in the attached picture , this got the PWR light on the dash working , but there has been no change in the shift points ... I'd guess this would be because I haven't connected the same side of the switch that's connected to the blue wire to the blue/white one in the same connector ...is that correct or should I be looking somewhere else for the right blue/white wire to connect to? Just want to make sure what I'm doing is right so I dont stuff anything up...it's blurry....I'll try to get a better one .
Sorry
connector_zpsee5a337f.jpg

All help , as always , is appreciated.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
the power switch has a blue and black coming out of it the blue then splits into two wires so it doesnt matter what blue goes to the blue and blue/white

if the switch is plugged in and the power light is coming on then it should be working
how are you testing to see when it shifts? very easy throttle control and slowly gaining speed you notice it but if you drive hard it then it doesnt matter as it shifts when it has to