Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a Disc or Drum large salisbury?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
everyone cans large Holden Saliburys.. but they were in Brocks A9X that won Bathurst ditto his dayglo VKs (none broke)
young blokes doing burnouts was probably why we'd break them then replace them with another one from the wreckers. at age 49 I wouldn't of driven a Salisbury lsd less than 5 years old probably 10.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
young blokes doing burnouts was probably why we'd break them then replace them with another one from the wreckers. at age 49 I wouldn't of driven a Salisbury lsd less than 5 years old probably 10.

I run one in the race car.. and in 20 years only ever broken one, my fault.

Entering T1 at Phillip Is wrong side of 200, braked and downshift.. into 1st (not 3rd) :eek:
and let the clutch out. Locked up the rear ( which took a tooth off the pinion) and
spun me into the gravel trap on the INSIDE of the circuit.

They dragged me out and towed me to the paddock area. It was only when I drove !
the car to where the trailer/tow car was, that I realised the clunking noise was from the diff

I had a spare one at home :cool:

1fxvqWCj_o.jpg

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
how well does the lsd work? I ve never driven a working salsbury lsd compared to the way a truetrac or locker puts the power down . When I was in my early 20's I put a lsd in a vc I had after I'd finished my uncle drove the car and commented it was no different to the diff I took out it would light up both wheels doing burn outs but thats about all I could notice. How often do you waste a set of tyres doing burn outs in a racecar?
The centre would of been worn to the shithouse for the pinion too break teeth I think?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Do you remember if the unis were 6cyl unis or V8 unis?

I ask as I have a disc braked rear from a 253 powered VH here, 2.6 gears and uses 6cyl unis...The owner sold it to me as he was going 9" in his VH...
thought 2.60 ratio was only factory fitted on the 308 not 253 and the ratio was only available in the larger 10 bolt diff
Was told a while ago that the factory fitted V8 unis to the smaller salisbury diff only on 253 motor option on vb to vh

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
thought 2.60 ratio was only factory fitted on the 308 not 253 and the ratio was only available in the larger 10 bolt diff
Was told a while ago that the factory fitted V8 unis to the smaller salisbury diff only on 253 motor option on vb to vh

Can only tell you, I have a 2.6 ratio disc braked rear, that came out of a VH, fitted with a factory 253 and has 6 cylinder unis....

I saw the car it came from....Plans are to fit it to my 6cyl VH here, which saves me the headaches of tailshaft mods

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
how well does the lsd work? I ve never driven a working salsbury lsd compared to the way a truetrac or locker puts the power down
The salisbury lsd does make control of car under power much much easier than single and puts power down better out of corners in any direction along with the feel n handling doing it in any condition, its not just about burning rubber in a straight line, yes its a bit less direct violent delivery and tighter wheel power than the vl truetrac that I have driven and it holds up quite well, serviced and maintaned up to a certain power level without the constant abuse.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Can only tell you, I have a 2.6 ratio disc braked rear, that came out of a VH, fitted with a factory 253 and has 6 cylinder unis....

I saw the car it came from....Plans are to fit it to my 6cyl VH here, which saves me the headaches of tailshaft mods
is it a 10 bolt diff ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My large disc brake salisbury diff came out of a 6 cyl car. VH IIRC I can't remember what ratio it is.

When I bought my 308 VH the LSD was missing and it had a open carrier. It had previously had a LSD as clearly witnessed by the marks on the axle splines. I upgraded the 2.6 ratio to 3.08 with steel 4 spider centre as was used in the old NZ Transam light series.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The salisbury lsd does make control of car under power much much easier than single and puts power down better out of corners in any direction along with the feel n handling doing it in any condition, its not just about burning rubber in a straight line, yes its a bit less direct violent delivery and tighter wheel power than the vl truetrac that I have driven and it holds up quite well, serviced and maintaned up to a certain power level without the constant abuse.
A diff less than 2 years old probably does I could never notice what a salisbury lsd did different compared to a single wheeler was my experience , in the case of my current ute the factory lsd was useless so I put a locker in .
.Plans are to fit it to my 6cyl VH here, which saves me the headaches of tailshaft mods
Doubt the 6 will like the 2.6, unless you don't drive in traffic or up hill and cruise @ 150K's