Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a good deal for a gts r

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Not sure about the brakes but wider wheels yes and a revised front end body kit. Whoopee do!

As per usual, the extra stuff ain’t necessarily worth the extra cost (which is actually ~$10k).
Bigger wheels & brakes, 5kW extra engine tune, and the fancy quilted leather seats.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Yeah I was a bit "why did they bother". But I'm guessing they probably felt they needed to get some of that stuff made for the W1 anyway, so they'd just get a few more made & make a non-W1 R to sell a few more of.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
What will you do if you don't buy it? I.e. what are your other options.
The price is what it is. Assuming you can afford it, which I'll take as a given, it's the value proposition that car represents, compared to others you may consider, in that price range that you should be considering. Try to take emotion out of the equation.
Re the "sum of its parts" debate, I don't get it. Any good car is greater tham the sum of its parts. Equally some cars are less i.e. reverse synergy, and this includes many which were good stockes, ruined by over zealous mods. Greater parts sum, lesser car. Poorly matched components and set up. The look great on paper, but then you drive them and they are shyte. N9t all, but some.
The GTSR is synergy in motion. A beautiful and well executed machine. In my opinion a modified Redline, or whatever is always going to be inferior. Even if it's quicker etc etc. Because it's not factory and all mods, despite their benefits upset the equilibrium in one way, or another.
So, if it's about the same price as other GTSR's, and a better value proposition than other +$100k cars, then IMO it's a good deal.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Totally agree. No matter what you do to your SS it will still be inferior to the GTS-R.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Doesn’t seem like you ^^ two blokes have built a car from scratch else you would know the pissy value of a limited edition badge.
The marque and the stickers, knowing the difference separates the clever battler and ridiculousness of people who pay through the nose just so they can say they own(ed) one.
SS brought up to spec is always going to win vs McRoyale with Cheese.

gtsfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 GTS
Hey , It seems to me that Dane80 has a passion for the GtsR that won't go away.
A bit like the passion you felt for that special woman.....that got away..
I say ...go for it Dane80......better to have loved and lost......blah , blah , blah.
Just as Barnaby .......he knows...

Dane80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF GTSR
Yes I do love the GTSR I must admit, I have had an SS before and they are also great and yes indeed more than half the price...I am not considering it for resale value or to put it in a garage and drive it once a month and not let it get rained on etc etc (which I think is a total wank btw)...what’s the point in buying a car if all your going to do is stand and look at it...I’m going to drive the bastard

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Doesn’t seem like you ^^ two blokes have built a car from scratch else you would know the pissy value of a limited edition badge.
The marque and the stickers, knowing the difference separates the clever battler and ridiculousness of people who pay through the nose just so they can say they own(ed) one.
SS brought up to spec is always going to win vs McRoyale with Cheese.

But it’s always an SS.

It’s like saying you can spend 60k on a VY SS or a XR6T and make it faster and corner better than a GTS R. It’s still a VY and an XR6 and I know what I’d rather.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Doesn't matter what car you have, there's always gonna be a faster one out there. If you can afford it and its what you want, go buy it. Cheapest one on Carsales is $129k, so your price is about the going rate at the moment.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
But it’s always an SS.

It’s like saying you can spend 60k on a VY SS or a XR6T and make it faster and corner better than a GTS R. It’s still a VY and an XR6 and I know what I’d rather.
Take a Holden shell, drop a GM V8, re-spec the suspension and brakes, charge twice as much than if you did it yourself.
Same money gets you bespoke custom forged V8, world class suspension and brakes. Difference is spec and satisfaction of proudly enhancing a Holden, not some corporate fancy compromise.
The HSV faux trading card richness and novelty value wears off once you know what you are actually paying for. Those who believe it actually better, worth more “Coz HSV” and don’t bother to understand the detail, are the target market here.
Bloody shitshow ripoff, each to their own. Personally believe the enhancements offered are pathetic.