Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a good deal for a gts r

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Dane80, Feb 12, 2018.

1. monstar

monstar Naturally as-pirated

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    Nah, just a waste of money eh? Don’t hate the bits, just a pathetic choice in upgrades vs what is a panacea in the aftermarket.
    It is the elitism, that deserves healthy ridicule, as the novelty wears off is like the emperor’s new clothes. All same underneath and the garb was mainly propped up with marketing.

Sean880 likes this.
  2. monty_vfssv

monty_vfssv Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV S2 Redline
    This has more or less turned into a hsv vs commodore bash..
    To the original poster i think being a 2017 model and its probably sitting on there books as a demo by now?? You're in a good position to haggle the price down a fair bit. All dealers talk crap about how good of a deal your getting etc the usual paint/leather protect being worth $1500 when really its a $10 (magic) bottle of crap they smear all over your car in 30 mins.. I'd go in low 110k and walk away. No doubt they'll ring you the next day to negotiate.. its in there best interest if they want to sell off there 2017 stock. Tell em your looking else where and watch them squirm like the snakes they are.

3. Dane80

Dane80 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF GTSR
    I see your point I really do and I suppose it comes down to personal taste in some ways...personally something original from the factory is a big factor for me as it’s not about having the fastest or the best looking but something original as it was released...if I buy something pre 86 I won’t have it without all the original running gear and matching numbers...but that’s just me...I do understand your argument tho regarding the price and what you can do modifying something else...

TTubrag, Craterface and monstar like this.
  4. KT11H

KT11H Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline Ute
    Must say that regardless of the price, GTS r is a very nice car and it is one of the last Aussie icons. If every body were me, we will be all wearing $20 jeans from Rivers/K mart instead of those $100+ designers' jeans from David Jones. Another example will be that in Canberra, similar houses in different suburbs are vastly different in prices, can be $200,000+ upwards. Those who live in an expensive suburb, pay more rate but get the same services for rubbish collection, street light/road maintenance as those in the cheaper suburb. It is not all about value for money, it is what you feel about your possession. If it makes you feel good and you can afford it, then buy it. Happiness is priceless. But as the other said, don't accept what the dealer asks, make them an offer and feel even happier.

Craterface likes this.
  5. ratsmow

ratsmow New Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro
    Yep some great advice here, you are now in a great position to negotiate so make them work for it. Not many manuals available and if you are after that specific colour there's only a few to choose from. Have you driven one yet?

6. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Where the salesman sharks of yesteryear had the morals of a red bellied snake, they didn't let ego get in the way of a sale.

Today's younger versions let their ego get in the way a bit. Meaning where as ages ago you'd cop the phone call then next day begging you to buy the car, I've found it's not the case today. That's one of the main reasons why the yards are still full of V8 Holdens and HSV's months after they stopped manufacture.

I'd do the same, in giving a low ball offer. They can only come back with a counter offer. Where well into 2018 and they are still sitting on a 2017 model. they'd be fools not too come to the party

7. arthurk

arthurk Active Member

Members Ride:
    SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
    Totally agree with this!!

Life is too short - buy the car and enjoy it. You dont need a forum to reaffirm your purchase or decision. Everyones position is different and everyone values things differently. If I had my way I would sell up everything and buy cars! Not practicle so it wont be happening fortunately/unfortunately. I have been called various names for spending the money I have on cars over the years - I worked hard for them and enjoyed them as well on the flip side. I believe I have even found my inner bogan and thoroughly enjoying modding my VF II SSVR. Bought a Motorsport to keep untouched as a punt and modding the crap out of the Redline.

Dealers are still negotiating, its still taking up room on the balance sheet so stick to your guns and negotiate down to where you are happy to buy and drive it like you stole it!

ps Had a VF GTS for 4 months and it was the best fun I ever had - averaged 28L/100Km on good days :) - Benefit of having a wife working for GM

ratsmow likes this.
  8. Craterface

Craterface Member

Members Ride:
    2011 HSV GTS
    Lol 'panacea in the aftermarket' aren't you on your second rebuild in 2 years cause your first went bang! So much for aftermarket lol

9. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    LOL chuffed you keep an interest in my car’s engine (don’t know you but hey stroke my ego LOL), 640hp LOL, 825 nm LOL, AFM & VVT 99% OEM GM LOL... 320k km, seven years. OEM lifters died now replaced with latest revision LOL.
    Hold on... LOL... how does the need for regular overhaul or OEM repairs make one laugh as hard AF?! At first read comes across a bit rude and ignorant in that context.
    Meh glass half full and all that, LOL more power to giggling in ignorance as it chimes with thread’s central theme of mid life’s persuit of values, meaning and id, all that makes you smile (at least superficially in the super ego) is good.
    So nah I won’t take your facetious comment as nasty, rather a clever statement on freedom of choice vs blissful insanity :eek:o_O. Chill out :D and laugh out loud!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  10. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    OMG....I am so LOL'd out right now

11. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Ooh, important point from the better-half; even though we know Rivers and K-Mart jeans for $20 will be worn-through in a couple of months, you can get decent quality stuff from Target for about the same price.

Well ... this isn't quite the same situation. The reason a suburb is more expensive than another suburb is usually amenity. It's close to something which people don't want to travel to get to, or it's further away from something people don't want to be near.
    There's better functionality in the more expensive suburb, there are shops or a good school closer, the CBD is closer; the good suburb goes harder, stops better, is more comfortable.
    You can't go out & buy a similar house in a cheaper suburb, then spend less than the difference to make all those amenities closer to you. But with a $125k GTS-R you can start with a $65k MSE and apply at least as many extra fasts as the GTS-R has for a lot less money (actually you could probably start with an SS rather than an MSE, but I know there are ~$65k MSE's for sale and the MRC suspension is already there).

This doesn't get into paying for something which you want or like though. Most of the time, others aren't going to understand what you want or like.
    Why do I drive a 1970's Volvo with a turbo and a cam so lumpy the MoTeC can't keep a steady idle at the lights? I mean, nobody else understands why. I don't think I understand why. If I put all the money I've spent on it over the years together, I could certainly go out & buy a new reliable widget that does pretty much anything you can think-of better; ~180kW 15 years ago was reasonable in a 1300kg car, now even V6 Commodores have more power!
    Which is why if you think you want something, the bare dull emotionless facts won't inform you of whether you should get it.

EternityDre likes this.
  12. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    ROFL LMFAO.

13. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Shipwrecked

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    This thread needs more info on the Volvo tbh.

Lex likes this.
  14. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Active Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Just gonna say YOLO to add to OMG,LOL & VOLVO

(Last one sounds like it goes with a dirty sanchez)

15. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    As is so often the case, this thread was pulled way offline, whilst not necessarily being hijacked. I'm all for it personally. Within reason. Good banter is cathartic!
    But, the OP was asking, unless I'm mistaken, if the car was a good deal in comparison with other GTSR's on the market. Not whether he should by a far lesseer car and mod it to get similar or better perfomace. Likely coupled with a sinificantly impaired factory warranty, and possibly questionable driveline longevity. Not to mention an immediate and 100% write off of the cost of the upgrades and probably accelerated depreciation of the underlying base car.
    What I'm not keen on is people defending their own decisons, by lambasting anyone whom dares to take the safe and easy road, i.e in this instance buying a HSV GTSR, rather than taking the road less travelled and modding the crap out of a N/A Holden, or heaven forbid FI!
    It is not for us to ride in on a noble black steed, to save all from their proclaimed naivety, declaring with rigour and fervour the folly of their decsions.
    Unless of course they ask. Then, a balanced response, as opposed by a cycloptic tirade would be warranted.
    Your honour.:p

Zehq, VF Ute, revster and 1 other person like this.
  16. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    ^^^^^ been waiting for a reply like this. Well done. To the point.

17. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    Who said anything like that? The base Holden before it goes to HSV is exactly the same, not far lesseer.
    OP has declared he is on same page as me, understands the insanity and clearly explained why he is going for the plain vanilla / bean counter option.
    What gets my goat is the obviously risk averse nature of expensive ($80k+) new car buyers on one hand, blabbing about relatively pissy, uneconomical performance on the other, then justifying it with some wifey speak about safety of the investment because of some half cocked brand bullshit.
    Yeah, keep drinking the factory Koolaid, there is no chance the stickered productised offering could be bettered with a bit of engineering nouse for less for the long term.
    He did specifically ask, “do you guys think this is a good deal” not what you interpreted that to mean several posts down the thread.
    Speaks volumes as to why you bought the sporty sticker pack instead of maybe investing in a well researched Motorsport enhancement. You just weren’t listening to what was being said.

18. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Didn't the thread veer that way, as with all other such threads, because the question was answered in the first handful of posts?

When you're comparing to (non-W1) GTS depreciation, you can probably buy an MSE and push it off a cliff in 2 years, and you've still saved money. :)

Yeah ... actually, yeah.

No, he asked if it was a good deal for a GTS-R. As per thread title.

19. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    So what you are saying is the thread title is actually the Original Post?!
    Like a brief headline carries more weight as to gist of the thread’s content than what is written in the body of the first article.
    Got it, sorry for the confusion, I’m new to this. So responses posted should be in relation to the headline not what is written in the OP?

426Cuda likes this.
  20. KT11H

KT11H Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline Ute
    Just say that I disagree with you. I have been building houses for over 20 years in Canberra. In some suburbs, amenities matters but not so in most of the suburbs. It is down to supply and demand, and how the developers set the land prices. 2 suburbs next to each other, separated by one street, the property price can be $200,000+ different for similar house. Good example will be the suburb of "O'Malley" (expensive) and "Isaacs" (cheaper), separated by one street, both have no schools and the cheaper Isaacs have local shops but properties are cheaper than O'Malley, because the suburb of O'Malley has a "prestige" image over Isaacs. Perhaps it is the same with cars, the Holden Caprice was just as good as some of European large saloons, but the Badge Snobs wouldn't like it because it was a Holden and didn't have the "prestige" name tags.

I wear jeans for work at building sites, believe me, they all worn and torn about the same. One time my wife told me that my torn jeans looks like those designers' jeans which were deliberately torn from new. Perhaps I should put my own labels on them and resale them at a ridiculous price.:D

monstar and Lex like this.