Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a good deal for a gts r

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I agree it is a commodore, if it’s the same car why do you hate them so much?
Nah, just a waste of money eh? Don’t hate the bits, just a pathetic choice in upgrades vs what is a panacea in the aftermarket.
It is the elitism, that deserves healthy ridicule, as the novelty wears off is like the emperor’s new clothes. All same underneath and the garb was mainly propped up with marketing.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
This has more or less turned into a hsv vs commodore bash..
To the original poster i think being a 2017 model and its probably sitting on there books as a demo by now?? You're in a good position to haggle the price down a fair bit. All dealers talk crap about how good of a deal your getting etc the usual paint/leather protect being worth $1500 when really its a $10 (magic) bottle of crap they smear all over your car in 30 mins.. I'd go in low 110k and walk away. No doubt they'll ring you the next day to negotiate.. its in there best interest if they want to sell off there 2017 stock. Tell em your looking else where and watch them squirm like the snakes they are.

Dane80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF GTSR
Nah, just a waste of money eh? Don’t hate the bits, just a pathetic choice in upgrades vs what is a panacea in the aftermarket.
It is the elitism, that deserves healthy ridicule, as the novelty wears off is like the emperor’s new clothes. All same underneath and the garb was mainly propped up with marketing.

I see your point I really do and I suppose it comes down to personal taste in some ways...personally something original from the factory is a big factor for me as it’s not about having the fastest or the best looking but something original as it was released...if I buy something pre 86 I won’t have it without all the original running gear and matching numbers...but that’s just me...I do understand your argument tho regarding the price and what you can do modifying something else...

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Must say that regardless of the price, GTS r is a very nice car and it is one of the last Aussie icons. If every body were me, we will be all wearing $20 jeans from Rivers/K mart instead of those $100+ designers' jeans from David Jones. Another example will be that in Canberra, similar houses in different suburbs are vastly different in prices, can be $200,000+ upwards. Those who live in an expensive suburb, pay more rate but get the same services for rubbish collection, street light/road maintenance as those in the cheaper suburb. It is not all about value for money, it is what you feel about your possession. If it makes you feel good and you can afford it, then buy it. Happiness is priceless. But as the other said, don't accept what the dealer asks, make them an offer and feel even happier.

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
Yep some great advice here, you are now in a great position to negotiate so make them work for it. Not many manuals available and if you are after that specific colour there's only a few to choose from. Have you driven one yet?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
This has more or less turned into a hsv vs commodore bash..
To the original poster i think being a 2017 model and its probably sitting on there books as a demo by now?? You're in a good position to haggle the price down a fair bit. All dealers talk crap about how good of a deal your getting etc the usual paint/leather protect being worth $1500 when really its a $10 (magic) bottle of crap they smear all over your car in 30 mins.. I'd go in low 110k and walk away. No doubt they'll ring you the next day to negotiate.. its in there best interest if they want to sell off there 2017 stock. Tell em your looking else where and watch them squirm like the snakes they are.

Where the salesman sharks of yesteryear had the morals of a red bellied snake, they didn't let ego get in the way of a sale.

Today's younger versions let their ego get in the way a bit. Meaning where as ages ago you'd cop the phone call then next day begging you to buy the car, I've found it's not the case today. That's one of the main reasons why the yards are still full of V8 Holdens and HSV's months after they stopped manufacture.

I'd do the same, in giving a low ball offer. They can only come back with a counter offer. Where well into 2018 and they are still sitting on a 2017 model. they'd be fools not too come to the party

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Happiness is priceless
Totally agree with this!!

Life is too short - buy the car and enjoy it. You dont need a forum to reaffirm your purchase or decision. Everyones position is different and everyone values things differently. If I had my way I would sell up everything and buy cars! Not practicle so it wont be happening fortunately/unfortunately. I have been called various names for spending the money I have on cars over the years - I worked hard for them and enjoyed them as well on the flip side. I believe I have even found my inner bogan and thoroughly enjoying modding my VF II SSVR. Bought a Motorsport to keep untouched as a punt and modding the crap out of the Redline.

Dealers are still negotiating, its still taking up room on the balance sheet so stick to your guns and negotiate down to where you are happy to buy and drive it like you stole it!

ps Had a VF GTS for 4 months and it was the best fun I ever had - averaged 28L/100Km on good days :) - Benefit of having a wife working for GM

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS

Lol 'panacea in the aftermarket' aren't you on your second rebuild in 2 years cause your first went bang! So much for aftermarket lol

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Lol 'panacea in the aftermarket' aren't you on your second rebuild in 2 years cause your first went bang! So much for aftermarket lol
LOL chuffed you keep an interest in my car’s engine (don’t know you but hey stroke my ego LOL), 640hp LOL, 825 nm LOL, AFM & VVT 99% OEM GM LOL... 320k km, seven years. OEM lifters died now replaced with latest revision LOL.
Hold on... LOL... how does the need for regular overhaul or OEM repairs make one laugh as hard AF?! At first read comes across a bit rude and ignorant in that context.
Meh glass half full and all that, LOL more power to giggling in ignorance as it chimes with thread’s central theme of mid life’s persuit of values, meaning and id, all that makes you smile (at least superficially in the super ego) is good.
So nah I won’t take your facetious comment as nasty, rather a clever statement on freedom of choice vs blissful insanity :eek:o_O. Chill out :D and laugh out loud!

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
LOL chuffed you keep an interest in my car’s engine (don’t know you but hey stroke my ego LOL), 640hp LOL, 825 nm LOL, AFM & VVT 99% OEM GM LOL... 320k km, seven years. OEM lifters died now replaced with latest revision LOL.
Hold on... LOL... how does the need for regular overhaul or OEM repairs make one laugh as hard AF?! At first read comes across a bit rude and ignorant in that context.
Meh glass half full and all that, LOL more power to giggling in ignorance as it chimes with thread’s central theme of mid life’s persuit of values, meaning and id, all that makes you smile (at least superficially in the super ego) is good.
So nah I won’t take your facetious comment as nasty, rather a clever statement on freedom of choice vs blissful insanity :eek:o_O. Chill out :D and laugh out loud!

OMG....I am so LOL'd out right now