Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a good exhaust... opinions?

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I know it's probably covered before, but from what i've read in the past, this is probably what i'm looking for... just want clarification on sizes...

refer this diagram...

Are these the sizes i should go with?

After looking around (google searched and found this vid from another forum) this car has extractors, twin cats and a custom dual exhaust system... but it doesn't specify the exact setup and sizing...??
http://www.youtube.com/v/QnOrJjxB498&hl

I'm also interested in costing... from what i've found... ebay have magnaflow 2" cats for $125ea and mufflers are around the $70 mark and a rear resonator is probably around the same...

so totalling up, that would be $460 just for the parts (i already have the extractors) and that doesnt include the tubing, the tip and labour... getting expensive?? :hmmm:

any/all input greatly appreciated.. :beer chug:

oh... and also... does it sound nice in the vid? (for a V6)

EDIT: FYI - the outlet of the extractors (internal diameter) is 2"

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The only way you will get it to sound like that is to get Sureflo to make it. Its the mufflers that will determine the sound, and I believe Sureflo have thier own brand of them.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I've tried almost every combo possible on a v6 in search of the ideal allrounder: reasonable sound, minimal drone, simplicity of construction and performance.

A setup along the lines of the pic you posted is what i'd go for!

Pacemakers, twin 2.25 pipes, twin 2.25 cats, twin 2.25 straight thru mufflers, merge into single 2.5 pipe over the diff, single 5 inch straight thru barrel on the back. In theory it will keep the gas velocity up and keep it efficient.

As said muffler choice is important too. My personal preference is supercat glass packs or lukey ultra flows (approx $60ea). Middle mufflers must be glass packed, and rear barrel/ ressy (approx $60) must also be glass packed or else it will sound tinny.

For cats. put some Venom 200 cell metal cats. cheap yet reliable. can buy a pair on ebay for like $300 a pair

Will sound good for a v6 and be effective on performance too

Good luck, hope ive helped

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
When you say 5" straight through barrel, do you mean just a huge resi?

I'm over loudish exhausts so on Monday I am have a new exhaust fitted. It will be Pacemakers, twin 2.5" cats, merge, single Hurricane glass packed through-muffler, rear huge Hurricane glass-packed resi, out, pipe is press-bent 2.5".

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I've tried almost every combo possible on a v6 in search of the ideal allrounder: reasonable sound, minimal drone, simplicity of construction and performance.

A setup along the lines of the pic you posted is what i'd go for!

Pacemakers, twin 2.25 pipes, twin 2.25 cats, twin 2.25 straight thru mufflers, merge into single 2.5 pipe over the diff, single 5 inch straight thru barrel on the back. In theory it will keep the gas velocity up and keep it efficient.

As said muffler choice is important too. My personal preference is supercat glass packs or lukey ultra flows (approx $60ea). Middle mufflers must be glass packed, and rear barrel/ ressy (approx $60) must also be glass packed or else it will sound tinny.

For cats. put some Venom 200 cell metal cats. cheap yet reliable. can buy a pair on ebay for like $300 a pair

Will sound good for a v6 and be effective on performance too

Good luck, hope ive helped

The outlet of the pacies is 2" ... unless its the outside diameter i should measure? please confirm? otherwise, i need to go UP to a 2-1/4" pipe straight out of the collectors... is that a good idea?

Also... what kind of pricing should i expect to get all these bits installed? (if i supplied all the parts to an exhaust shop)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well the shop would have to make the cat pipes, and then flange them for both ends, make the pipes to the mufflers, and then weld them in, weld up the hooks, maybe even a new hanger if you don't have twins up front, make both rear pipes (before and after rear muffler), and hang the rear muffler, and weld a merge in for the rear as well.

You would be much better off going into a store and asking them for a whole system price.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
You would be much better off going into a store and asking them for a whole system price.

good point... but it would still involve all the labour you listed... unless they have an "off the shelf" twin exhaust as i described??

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
They probably won't, but they can at least source the stuff cheaper than you can.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
When you say 5" straight through barrel, do you mean just a huge resi?

I'm over loudish exhausts so on Monday I am have a new exhaust fitted. It will be Pacemakers, twin 2.5" cats, merge, single Hurricane glass packed through-muffler, rear huge Hurricane glass-packed resi, out, pipe is press-bent 2.5".

yea 5inch ressy... whatevs, i call it a barrel lol. Its around 40 odd cm long, not big, just takes the drone off the note

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
The outlet of the pacies is 2" ... unless its the outside diameter i should measure? please confirm? otherwise, i need to go UP to a 2-1/4" pipe straight out of the collectors... is that a good idea?

Also... what kind of pricing should i expect to get all these bits installed? (if i supplied all the parts to an exhaust shop)

It wil be fine mate. on my race car (v6) i have the entry level pacies with the 2 inch flanges. then it goes out the 2.25's. hardly worth cutting a few inches off the collector cone to bring it out to 2.25 collector. i mite do it one day, but not important. I'm making stacks of grunt as it is.

You will pay more to get a custom exhaust pieced together, but i'm talking 'ideal exhuaust' for v6 here so investing a bit more to get the right thing done is worth it.

There will be nothing, that is bolt on, that is remotely similar to that pic u put up