Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a sensor?

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Hey everyone, so i have bought a VY Series 2 S Pack, second hand obviously and i was going through the engine bay when i found a male connector disconnected and what looks to be a resistor stuck into the end of it with two prongs.. It is located at the air box which has a free female connector. Why would this be?? Is it bad or a good thing for this to have been done?? IMG_20140312_191005_032.jpgIMG_20140312_191015_167.jpgIMG_20140312_191023_133.jpgIMG_20140312_191033_684.jpg

Aaron6.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Calais L67
The plug with the blue rubber on it is supposed to be connected to the receptacle on the air box this is the intake air temp sensor. The little black box with the prongs is an aftermarket "mod chip" like device that fools the ecu into thinking the air is colder than it actually is so the ecu compensates by allowing more air into the combustion chamber. More oxygen = bigger bang. I personally don't think they are worth it.

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Ok thanks for the quick reply, so how much extra bang would it give really?? Would it be causing any damage, or affect fuel consumption by doing this or is it fine for it to be left there??

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Probably gives you a few minutes of jollies before the computer readjusts itself

And by jollies I mean nothing noticeable

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Depending on your location dictates how retarded the mod is. The air temp sensor is already at a disadvantage due to its position and a plenum that soaks up combustion temperatures.

If you live in a hot climate with air that isn't oxygen dense, chances are you're running quite lean.

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
So the ecu actually changes so that the "mod chip" is no longer in effect and reads off something else?? Im actually really curious as to how this all works, i find it fun understand little things like this..

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The ECU gets told the temp is always the same, because the resistor can only tell it one thing. So as the weather/temp changes the ECU doesn't adjust. If you're in the cold, you have oxygen dense air, so the ECU would ramp the mix up. If it gets hot it ramps it down, to prevent leaning. You have one less sensor protecting your engine from leaning.

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Alright, with this info in this thread as well as other threads through the forums im getting rid of it. Not worth it in the long run. Thanks a heap for the info lads, im glad i asked!!

Stay cool.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
This is the wondrous, technologically brilliant masterpiece, that will unleash countless amounts of power (mang) in you engine.
Holden Engine MOD Chip VN VP VR VS VT VU VX VY | eBay It should say..."Free brainwashing included".

Edit: 996 SOLD?????
There's an awful lot of gullible people out there.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ha ha jees dont they know that the factory ecu/sensor is calibrated to suit the extra heat the intake causes to the intake air before it reaches the engine...