Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this normal..

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
haha i moved away from there in 98... was gettin pretty bad, i moved to nowra, then coz of work went to melb back to syd then perth... i hate perth :p cant wait to move back east...

with ur springs if you want a better ride then id be getting new ones, because that would be pretty bumpy hey

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
wow... their ****ed :p

Time for new springs, is it both sides?

I highly doubt you jumping on the bonnett will do that, ive never seen springs fail like that.

Are they the correct springs?

Is your car lop sided?

aZk.

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
it's not lop sided.. im pretty sure the left is the same but i havent had a thorough inspection, only the right side was jingling.. they are the correct springs.. lemme try find pics when i first got em..

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
this was last august, when i bought them, methinks.

Attachments

• shocknspringz.jpg
    shocknspringz.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 148

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
ummm wtf??? definately not sposed to sit like that brin...

Looks perfectly normal to me. My Superlows have always sat with the first three or four coils bound when static.

Keep in mind, when lowering a car with stock struts, your new static height is going to be lower than standard. This means your struts have a LOT of give to extend from the static position. When you create a lower spring, you have to allow for extension to stock, and beyond stock during front end lift. What Kings do, is create extra "soft" coils that bind when static, so when the front end lifts the coil extends to fill the gap, and won't shift out of place. Notice the bound coils are sitting a lot closer together out of your car in that pic. These are progressive rate springs.

That's my understanding, anyway. I've seen a lot of cars with static bound coils, and that's how I've understood them to work. It's cheap and nasty, but it does the trick. If you want your springs to be perfectly engineered, get coilovers.

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
hummm. thankyou morton. ive got lowered shockers in the front too... but do you think the coils could be the culprit of the jingly noise??

it sounds like theyre money in there, and holden4life and i are convinced the vn is gonna start spitting out money and start paying me back slowly... cause we cant find what the noise is!!

i even had my little bro like, run next to the car when i went over a bump trying to hear where it was coming from.. its definately a rattle and its only been there since mondayish.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks perfectly normal to me. My Superlows have always sat with the first three or four coils bound when static.

Keep in mind, when lowering a car with stock struts, your new static height is going to be lower than standard. This means your struts have a LOT of give to extend from the static position. When you create a lower spring, you have to allow for extension to stock, and beyond stock during front end lift. What Kings do, is create extra "soft" coils that bind when static, so when the front end lifts the coil extends to fill the gap, and won't shift out of place. Notice the bound coils are sitting a lot closer together out of your car in that pic. These are progressive rate springs.

That's my understanding, anyway. I've seen a lot of cars with static bound coils, and that's how I've understood them to work. It's cheap and nasty, but it does the trick. If you want your springs to be perfectly engineered, get coilovers.

My understanding was the spring was engineered to be stiffer therefore accounting for he reduced number of coils. If you have a stiffer coil, you can reduce the coils and therefore the height. This is why ride comfort is often reduced due to reduced travel.

I see no benefit to having 3-4 coils static like that. A variable rate spring is designed to compress at a variable rate, ie, there are coils which will give out more easily than others in order to retain some of the original dynamics.

Im most likely wrong but that image seems to be a mechanical design flaw to me.

On a side note, i reckon your gland packing nut is loose and that's the rattle, your shock is probably loose.

aZk.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
nah, where your shock enters the strut there is a large retaining nut which holds the shock into the housing. If it becomes loose (which it does if you don't use locktite) the shock is free to move up and down inside the housing and it eventually cracks... can miss it, its huge, needs a Stilton wrench to get if off.

On that note too, its ambiguous to say its just that. You need to be really specific when describing noises as it could be anything... right down to your vacuum booster res. being loose...

aZk.