Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this normal..

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
My understanding was the spring was engineered to be stiffer therefore accounting for he reduced number of coils. If you have a stiffer coil, you can reduce the coils and therefore the height. This is why ride comfort is often reduced due to reduced travel.

I see no benefit to having 3-4 coils static like that. A variable rate spring is designed to compress at a variable rate, ie, there are coils which will give out more easily than others in order to retain some of the original dynamics.

Im most likely wrong but that image seems to be a mechanical design flaw to me.

On a side note, i reckon your gland packing nut is loose and that's the rattle, your shock is probably loose.

aZk.

You could be right, I certainly shouldn't be anybody's final source of info on this subject :p But the way I understand springs, if Kings engineered the front springs to sit unbound when static, AND be stiff, then when you had a lot of front end extension, the springs wouldn't have enough "bounce" left in them to extend far enough. If you get my drift? Because the front struts can extend further than they SHOULD IDEALLY do from the superlow height. So you have the "progressive" spring, with the tighter coils at the top, which basically act as gap filler.

All VN/VPs with superlows and ultralows I've seen run bound when static :)

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
nope it aint that one. shock is fine inside the strut....

its a rattle!! its not a clunk, if it were a clunk id be more worried, its just a ding ding ding when going over bumps/potholes.. it wont make the noise if you move it when stationary... nothing is loose in the bay.. and you can feel a slight wobble when turning right which isnt good..

i was thinkin of takin her up the road to ozzy tyres but i dint know how much theyd charge me just to tell me whats wrong seeing my mate doesnt work there anymore. they used to have a look at it for me for zilch and send me running off with a list to repair..

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
You could be right, I certainly shouldn't be anybody's final source of info on this subject :p But the way I understand springs, if Kings engineered the front springs to sit unbound when static, AND be stiff, then when you had a lot of front end extension, the springs wouldn't have enough "bounce" left in them to extend far enough. If you get my drift? Because the front struts can extend further than they SHOULD IDEALLY do from the superlow height. So you have the "progressive" spring, with the tighter coils at the top, which basically act as gap filler.

All VN/VPs with superlows and ultralows I've seen run bound when static :)

Morton, the spring is REALLY tight, meaning even when jacked up it wont budge... ideas?? heeeelppp me, you sound knowledgable :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Well it shouldn't budge... lol, it should be locked in there pretty firm :p

Your rattle could be swaybar link pins. You had a look at those yet?

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
i can picture me driving along the highway, and seeing my wheel roll away and my car going BANG and hitting the road.. thats all... holden4life suggested my wheel nuts were loose, but he saw that was not the case haha..

i basically jacked her up and tried to shake everything under there, like i said bushes were a little worn but not enough to jingle....... my front grille was loose but that didnt solve it, and after putting the wheel back on the jingle was worse...

could it have something to do with bad camber? what components would affect that? the outer side of the front tyre is worn pretty bad..

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Just to give everyone another perspective on this spring issue:

Let's say for the sake of argument, those springs HAVE collapsed. How should they be sitting normally then? With the coils all 2cm apart? This would raise the car 8cm. That's country pack height :p

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I think fixing the spark lead issue might be a good idea also.....

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Just to give everyone another perspective on this spring issue:

Let's say for the sake of argument, those springs HAVE collapsed. How should they be sitting normally then? With the coils all 2cm apart? This would raise the car 8cm. That's country pack height :p

Those my friend, would be like 4wd springs i pulled outta the car... not that i had 4wd ones in there... but when i got the car i coulda sworn they used 4wd springs from factory haha