Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this polish/wax good or am i missing a step?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Bin the Chamois

To minimise swirl marks, I use a 18v Ryobi cordless blower to remove the bulk of the water

The cordless gets 95% of the water of the panels and out from in and around lights, grills, and other tight spots, typically the spots that dribble down on all your good work

the small amount of water left doesn't really matter if your waxing, but if your not waxing a few good clean microfibre cloths make short work of the final wipedown

Last edited:

TPH1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden Commodore SV6
As mentioned above,
Let it glide, let the weight of the machine do the work, do not apply pressure
As the above machine is not a DA machine, so you could burn the paint if you have it spinning to fast, don’t get me wrong, it will do the job, as long as the car has been clean properly, but caution to be used.
Because if you put to much weight on it, you could burn the duco.

As I mentioned in my post I use a DA, (Rockwell unit) and is also a variable speed, and is lite weight.
I also have a buffing machine as the OP mentioned, and that is also a DA, and that is a great machine,

On all accounts, the car must be washed and then proceed to polish & wax it,
And if it’s done correctly, it will be easy to keep clean.
(The secret of a good job to a great job, is to use a CLEAN polishing/buffing pad every time, so make sure they are washed after each use, and store correctly)

@TPH1995
Both my VY and VE are heron white, and mainly the VY has been polished and waxed a number of times with a DA buffing machine, so now with a hose down and a wipe down with chamois (old school), brings the shine out again.
So is my Compound 4800 a polish? Or is that the step before polish? I saw somone say Compound>Polish>Wax so im guessing in terms i know the compund is like a high grit sandpaper I still need a polish (low grit) before I wax?

If so the whole thing is so I can apply vinyls without old wax under it when would be the ideal step to put them on steaight after the clay bar or after the compund/polish?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I guess every one would apply different items/products differently,
My rule of thumb is to
  1. Wash the car down thoroughly,
  2. Take the car for drive around the block (aka: blow dry ;))
  3. Chamois it down, (I have been using chamois' for 40 years, so its everyone to their own)
  4. Apply a Paint cleaner (Compound that is a very fine cutter to remove any oxidation) (this does depend on the condition of the paint/duco and this process may not be required)
  5. Polish, (depending on the product/brand) as this needs to be done in sections, so not to let it dry, before removal (as some brands/products can take longer to remove)
  6. Apply a Wax, (You choice of a brand you would prefer)
  7. Remove Wax by hand with a number of cloths.
  8. Then buff the whole car with a DA machine on slow to medium speed, (Lambs wool or a microfibre buffing pad)
  9. Then hand wipe it down with a microfibre cloth.
  10. Then use a CLEAN stiff paintbrush to remove the Polish/Wax from then crevices (around the external trim/door handles/door seals/decals/body mouldings/lights, etc)
  11. Wipe it down again with a microfibre cloth to remove the Polish/Wax dust.
  12. Last but not least, Dress the tyres.
There has been a few cars I have used a few different foam applicators on the DA machine to apply the Compound/Polish & Wax to speed up the process, and the results were great.
It may sound like a long process, but it all can be done in approx. 3> 4 hours. (Depending on how you pace yourself)
Depending upon the time of the day too, especially in winter, best to start it around 11am/midday, saves the afternoon Dew settling on the car, which be a pain when trying to buff it.
We’re as in summer, possibly start it around 1pm because the mid afternoon temp will help to dry the Wax,
then hand buff it off, the use the lambs wool buffing pad, and by time you finish the job, and after packing up,
possibly it will be Beer o’clock. ;)

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I guess every one would apply different items/products differently,
My rule of thumb is to
  1. Wash the car down thoroughly,
  2. Take the car for drive around the block (aka: blow dry ;))
  3. Chamois it down, (I have been using chamois' for 40 years, so its everyone to their own)
  4. Apply a Paint cleaner (Compound that is a very fine cutter to remove any oxidation) (this does depend on the condition of the paint/duco and this process may not be required)
  5. Polish, (depending on the product/brand) as this needs to be done in sections, so not to let it dry, before removal (as some brands/products can take longer to remove)
  6. Apply a Wax, (You choice of a brand you would prefer)
  7. Remove Wax by hand with a number of cloths.
  8. Then buff the whole car with a DA machine on slow to medium speed, (Lambs wool or a microfibre buffing pad)
  9. Then hand wipe it down with a microfibre cloth.
  10. Then use a CLEAN stiff paintbrush to remove the Polish/Wax from then crevices (around the external trim/door handles/door seals/decals/body mouldings/lights, etc)
  11. Wipe it down again with a microfibre cloth to remove the Polish/Wax dust.
  12. Last but not least, Dress the tyres.
There has been a few cars I have used a few different foam applicators on the DA machine to apply the Compound/Polish & Wax to speed up the process, and the results were great.
It may sound like a long process, but it all can be done in approx. 3> 4 hours. (Depending on how you pace yourself)
Depending upon the time of the day too, especially in winter, best to start it around 11am/midday, saves the afternoon Dew settling on the car, which be a pain when trying to buff it.
We’re as in summer, possibly start it around 1pm because the mid afternoon temp will help to dry the Wax,
then hand buff it off, the use the lambs wool buffing pad, and by time you finish the job, and after packing up,
possibly it will be Beer o’clock. ;)
When does he put the vinyl stickers on? Thats what this thread is all about, isn't it? :) Or was that a different thread?:confused:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
When does he put the vinyl stickers on? Thats what this thread is all about, isn't it? :) Or was that a different thread?:confused:

Good Point !
Went off on a different tangent ! oops !

To install the Stickers, [my recondition]
Its best to Clean the Area with Mentholated Sprits, to remove any Polish/Wash residue,
and use ONLY A DRY CLEAN CLOTH to wipe the area down,
Then apply the stickers,
and then Re-polish/Wax the Area in question.

Reactions: Lex
H

harrop.senator

You'll be using wax and grease remover or a vinyl prep cleaner ( Avery Dennison supply there own unsure how different is to wax and grease. )

I'd be clay barring it , Windexing it , wax and grease then the pre vinyl prep clean. That's how we did it before applying vinyl.