Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is this the worst time ever to try sell a car

hsv8vq

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman
so i was wondering if with the economy the way it is has the performance car market failed or is it the new restrictions for p platers that has dramaticaly cut the market im trying to sell my supercharged v8 vq statesman ive got it on ebay plenty of watchers few questions but no one is making a move no bids ne way if any of you are keen on a vq click the link check it out and fill me in with any hints you m,ay have in trying to sell it also just let me no ur thoughts on selling cars at the moment cheers

supercharged 1991 vq statesman white - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Apr-09 16:30:20 AEST)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Fristly, new p platers can't have 8 or more cylinders. So that rules them out, plus they can't have superchargers or turbochargers too.

Because your from vic most people wanting to bid will actually be from Victoria. Secondly, the olde style P platers are on power to weight ratio, the VN V8's were fine, however with a supercharger and worked if it ever got dynod buyers are probably thinking it's over power to weight ratio.

So that leaves people off their P's to buy this, in which case i can't relaly help you there, but many of them are probably looking to settle down and settle house repayments and what not.

Also, something that might help you is to say when the Supercharger was installed. A supercharger if it was installed shortly after it was purchased (meaning like 250,000km/s is probably very warn out).

I dunno, just some things i've picked up.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
pictures sell a car for me. you should really get some good high res pictures up. also pics of the interior wouldn't hurt either. i don't think ebay is the best for getting the price you want. people want to think for a long time before they buy something, 1 week just isn't enough. i saw a 355 stroker vp wagon go for about $3800 once. seller must have vomited when he saw the sale price (no reserve).

looks like a nice car though, good luck with it. try uniquecarsales, and this forum!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
VQ's are getting long in the tooth and a supercharger is nothing special these days. (often implies it's been driven hard). :)

I'd say your reserve is probably set a bit high. But I've found with Ebay you get most of the bids at the very end of the auction.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Few things wrong with the add,
1.Poor quality photos
2.P plates
3.Stockies on the back
4.Engine bay a mess with no top covers and shroud missing.
5.No air con.(who wants a luxury car with no air)

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Few things wrong with the add,
1.Poor quality photos
2.P plates
3.Stockies on the back
4.Engine bay a mess with no top covers and shroud missing.
5.No air con.(who wants a luxury car with no air)

I agree, pictures of the interior, boot....everything we'd want to see if we were going to buy it, and why do people think that using large font will help?:bang:
You really need to include more than just the 12 photos that ebay allows you, use photobucket to host them, you can put as many as you like into the html section of the ebay page and it wont cost you any extra.

Use a smaller font, use paragraphs, sentences and punctuation and leave a line between each to emphasise the features. Perhaps separate ones for engine, body etc. I gave up at about line three trying to read it,

This is my opinion, and my opinion only and may not reflect properly on the person who wrote the ad.... Use the best english you can muster in the ad, not with phone txt abbreviations etc, make the buyer feel like they are dealing with someone who is mature(and by association, reputable), not someone who is fresh out of kinder.

Perhaps you think that only 18 year olds will want you car(perhaps that is true) and you are speaking on their level, however, its a guaranteed turn off for older buyers(you cant always predict who is going to buy) and really I dont think any 18 year old is going to be put off by an add that doesnt have txt speeeeek!

There is no indication about whether you are selling with a rwc, assume that you are not, the finger cutter fan without the shroud would be an obvious fail point. It doesnt cost you extra on ebay to give us worthwhile info, tell us about the tyres etc( in a separate paragraph) how much tread, brand(even pictures) etc....will give the buyer some idea about where the money has been spent on the car

Seems a lot of money for a 18 year old car without a rwc and given the poor add I'd be giving it a wide berth.

Ive just sold a couple of cars on ebay doing all I recommend ^ and did get the price I was after.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yep - not a good time to sell a car.... That said..... Your car looks the good but your add sucks big chunky ones. Very difficult to read and there is nothing, zilch, nada to give me any reason to persevere reading the huge bomb of text that hit me when I open the add.

Reaper

nick3110

2.5" Catback
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
yep, just looking at the pictures and seeing the stockies on the back, made me think, this car has been used as "hoon" car.. so that would be a main reason for why it isn't selling.