Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this worth tuning...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Seems a good deal, half off the VCM price?

If you get it, you can let me know about the change in intake noise from the HSV intake ;)

Yeah...currently on special $1250 otr cai and tune

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
You wont be disappointed with the otr,you're tuner is right in what he's saying.
It only takes a few mins to totally remove and split the otr to clean the filter,its a piece of the proverbial so dont let that deter you at all,pop a few clips and you're off to the races..

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
@Ron Burgundy, I recall that you were quite careful to ensure that any modifications to your car were fully above board - e.g. your big brake conversion.

I’m curious to know if you have also looked in to any compliance/legal/insurance issues that might arise from the tune? I suspect that you would have carefully looked in to it, so I was wondering if I could get your take on those issues (if any)?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
@Ron Burgundy, I recall that you were quite careful to ensure that any modifications to your car were fully above board - e.g. your big brake conversion.

I’m curious to know if you have also looked in to any compliance/legal/insurance issues that might arise from the tune? I suspect that you would have carefully looked in to it, so I was wondering if I could get your take on those issues (if any)?

I am well aware that the tune is not legal but I am happy to accept this.

To make this legal you would need to undergo testing which cost more than a tune and I doubt any otr/tune package on the market would meet emission requirements.

Everyone is doing it...so I am happy to just do it...

Lots of commodores left dealerships with walkinshaw packages, which most likely do not meet emission regulations...

I have not heard anyone having any issues with otr/tune when law/insurance is concerned...

Needless to say, the tune will also void your drivetrain warranty :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has anyone had a 'tune' whilst retaining the factory cats?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Good question and I’m interested in hearing the answer.

But as I’ve understood it, any change to the factory tune technically means the pollution certification is no longer valid. As such pollution recertification is required regardless of the fact factory cats are retained. Pollution recertification is at silly money levels.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Good question and I’m interested in hearing the answer.

But as I’ve understood it, any change to the factory tune technically means the pollution certification is no longer valid. As such pollution recertification is required regardless of the fact factory cats are retained. Pollution recertification is at silly money levels.

I had a quick Google and it seems that smog testing in California costs less than $100 (https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Shopping-Guides/how-much-does-a-star-smog-check-cost)

I imagine that because testing is compulsory in CA there will be economies of scale savings with the smog testing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yes I have. 3" catback but factory manifold and cats. OTR as well. Gained about 40kw

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
yes i had mine done with standard cats, otr and 2.5" catback. made a noticable improvement.they said 256kw at rear wheels. i take this with a grain of salt but there was some improvement. having said that i have not been 100% happy with the job they did so am having a set of pacemaker 340 headers fitted and retuned next mon by another tuner. still keeping the standard cats. i'm not really chasing HP,hence the headers not 4 into ones, but mainly a note i like.