Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this worth tuning...

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
yes i had mine done with standard cats, otr and 2.5" catback. made a noticable improvement.they said 256kw at rear wheels. i take this with a grain of salt but there was some improvement. having said that i have not been 100% happy with the job they did so am having a set of pacemaker 340 headers fitted and retuned next mon by another tuner. still keeping the standard cats. i'm not really chasing HP,hence the headers not 4 into ones, but mainly a note i like.
If it’s sound your after then the 4 into 1 long tube headers will gibe you the best, deepest sounding note

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
yes you are right but i wanted to keep the cats at their original position,legal, and the noise level not too loud but some more note than the log manifolds give. i also felt the ground clearance would be more of an issue with the 4 into 1's.
cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Good question and I’m interested in hearing the answer.

But as I’ve understood it, any change to the factory tune technically means the pollution certification is no longer valid. As such pollution recertification is required regardless of the fact factory cats are retained. Pollution recertification is at silly money levels.

I understand that...
I do know of 3 E series HSV's fitted with LS3's and Heartbeat superchargers that were fully engineered and smog certified, producing around 400 rwkw's with the factory exhaust.(Euro 4 standard)
I'd love to get the Magnum tuned, but with the Euro 4 Maloo headers, cats and 2.5" mid section fitted beforehand.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Smog certified is a US term...we call ADR “some number” certified... :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I noticed that compliant supercharger kits are available fir some cars (e.g. Mustang - https://www.herrodperformance.com.au/power-performance/whipple-superchargers/) so, it should be possible to obtain tunes/upgrades that are compliant for the Commodores.

I am not sure that just because the part is compliant, that the emissions would still comply as well...
Who knows....

For instance i contacted walkinshaw twice to ask if their w375 kit is road legal and complies with emissions...and got no answer at all.

This tells me they are not....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I am not sure that just because the part is compliant, that the emissions would still comply as well...
Who knows....

For instance i contacted walkinshaw twice to ask if their w375 kit is road legal and complies with emissions...and got no answer at all.

This tells me they are not....
ADR complaint just means that when fitted correctly with the appropriate supporting modifications, it can be approved by a VASS engineer. It is not automatically road legal. The emissions compliance and testing is the difficult part.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I called Shannons today to get a quote for insurance and asked if OTR and tune would be covered under their policy.

They basically said this is not an issue unless it's determined that the modifications were the cause of an accident. They were not fussed with technical legality of revised tune on a car.

I wonder if their claims department would think the same :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I called Shannons today to get a quote for insurance and asked if OTR and tune would be covered under their policy.

They basically said this is not an issue unless it's determined that the modifications were the cause of an accident. They were not fussed with technical legality of revised tune on a car.

I wonder if their claims department would think the same :)

they wouldn't.

as they stated unless the modification caused the accident (eg you chopped your springs and ruined the handling/braking etc) then there is no issue.