Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this worth tuning...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
they wouldn't.

as they stated unless the modification caused the accident (eg you chopped your springs and ruined the handling/braking etc) then there is no issue.

That's what suprises me. Technically dyno tune might not be legal in terms of emissions...yet they seem happy to cover it without proof that is within legal limits...

In saying that there a heaps of cars with Walkinshaw pack on them the insurance companies happily insure...

Guide below shows that CAI are fine and don't need certification...but it gets murky when emissions are questioned

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 12.07.33 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 12.07.33 pm.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
That's what suprises me. Technically dyno tune might not be legal in terms of emissions...yet they seem happy to cover it without proof that is within legal limits...

In saying that there a heaps of cars with Walkinshaw pack on them the insurance companies happily insure...

Guide below shows that CAI are fine and don't need certification...but it gets murky when emissions are questioned

you're overthinking it.

it's like trying to say a CAI would void your warranty. no they cannot legally void your warranty unless the CAI caused the issue. they can TRY but good luck!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Decided not to go ahead with this as I think I can better spend a grand elsewhere at this point in time...

Part of the reason is also the legality of this, so while I am with NRMA I am not going to do it. If I switch to Shannons I will reconsider again as they don't seem to have an issue with this....

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Still recon go the diff , probably could do it yourself with no legal problems and easily reversible and resell the diff

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Decided not to go ahead with this as I think I can better spend a grand elsewhere at this point in time...

Part of the reason is also the legality of this, so while I am with NRMA I am not going to do it. If I switch to Shannons I will reconsider again as they don't seem to have an issue with this....
Just have it maf tuned and keep your stock intake then. Still awesome gains to be had. Diff gears and histall first though.

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
I recently installed K&N setup on LS3. Duct only and K&N AIR filter...

I called the tuner and wanted to book my car in for a tune.

He basically said this would not make much difference even with tune and that VCM tuned would give me extra 30kw compared to K&N setup....

I am not sure what to do know as I really prefer this setup to VCM for a number of reasons...

I am not entirely convinced that the difference would be 30kw between these two options...but I have little experience with all this...

Thoughts ?

2 questions for VCM owners...

How often do you have to clean the air filter ?
Is filter visible through the grille and what would this mean for driving in heavy rain at high speed...?
I have bought 2 filters for my Vcm intake and a K and n recharge kit . Filter was $100 delivered and now I can clean one whilst still be able to drive.

If you have a look you can see the filter, but the Vcm OTR have drain holes.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I have bought 2 filters for my Vcm intake and a K and n recharge kit . Filter was $100 delivered and now I can clean one whilst still be able to drive.

If you have a look you can see the filter, but the Vcm OTR have drain holes.

If i ever go down this route I will go with Harrop OTR

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
If i ever go down this route I will go with Harrop OTR
I'm sure they would all work similar ( Not sure on pod style tho) you can make decent power and torque, I have done my toying now and stoked with results.
When I installed VCM i noticed a difference even before I tuned it

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I'm sure they would all work similar ( Not sure on pod style tho) you can make decent power and torque, I have done my toying now and stoked with results.
When I installed VCM i noticed a difference even before I tuned it

Did it throw any errors without tune ?