Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is ZB bonza around corners?

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Just saw the Wheels tyre comparo, done on a ZB. They said it scored 1g lateral with the best tyres.
That's better than a VF Redline, according to this press release:

The range topping SS-V Redline has the biggest stabiliser bars fitted to a Holden, measuring 28mm at the rear and 26mm at the front. With the retuned FE3 suspension it has improved roll stiffness by 30 percent and lateral g-force has increased from 0.88g to 0.93g.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Mate I took a AWD RS for a burn a couple of weeks back - sticks like sh** to a blanket in the hills and sits beautifully through corners. I would agree that it handles better than my redline... different car though.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
AWD has more grip than a RWD. Thats a surprise.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
AWD has more grip than a RWD. Thats a surprise.

That's no surprise.
Thought every man and his dog knew that by now......It is the 21st century guys and gals.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That's no surprise.
Thought every man and his dog knew that by now......It is the 21st century guys and gals.

I saw @lowandslow 's comment as sarcasm. Maybe he should have added an emoji to get the point across ?

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW Bora 4motion 2.8 VR6 24V
That's no surprise.

That all depends on the scenario. Powering hard out of a corner with poor road grip will want to push a AWD forward and not follow the steering input.
To drive a FWD over RWD or AWD requires a different approach.
The latest Civic "hyper" Hatch was criticised by some reviews for a tonne of understeer.
Put it in the hands of a pro on the track and its quicker than an STI for eg.
The extra efficiency of a 2 wheeler (FWD) sorted like the ZB is will be sufficient and not a drawbcak IMO

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
The AWD lets an average driver go around corners faster and yes the AWD ZB is much easier to throw around than a VF Redline but the Redline feels faster and is more fun to drive. I owned a 2014 Redline and it was a good car and great fun to drive and it could hold on in the corners great but it required a lot more effort and thought than the ZB.

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW Bora 4motion 2.8 VR6 24V
"The AWD lets an average driver go around corners faster" in theory this is incorrect.

AWD has better drive out of low speed corners so long as you have it posted straight where you want to go. like a bike, slow in fast out approach.

So many assume AWD is faster. so wrong there all summed up

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
AWD has better drive out of low speed corners so long as you have it posted straight where you want to go. like a bike, slow in fast out approach.

If you are running a Haldex or centre diff Subaru AWD system which tend towards understeer, this would be true. But the ZB has the Twinster system which is truly next gen. You can hold some pretty high mid corner speeds and the car never feels twitchy or unsettled. You can plant the boot just on or even before the apex and it just hooks up and goes without slingshotting you to the outside of the bend. This has as much to do with the bespoke suspension tune and the Michelins as it does the AWD system, but as a package it comes together nicely.