Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issue Fueling Up???

zbownerqld666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Commodore
Hi Everyone,

Posting here as I'm not having much luck with google, I have a 2018 LT ZB Commodore I purchased a demo model and from day dot it is almost impossible to fuel the damn thing up. So the issue is when you put the pump in it will immediately click off... no matter how you move the pump around pull a fraction out or try and push it in, drip feed or even put the pump in upside down it still clicks off, you have to look at how much is left on the gauge and guess by the fuel tank size and the sound. I have recently had the entire mechanism replaced under warranty due to a 'material grade failure' due to the little outside flap starting to crumble and the dealer said that would fix the problem. It has not. Does anyone else have this issue or am I just the unlucky bastard that has a car that's had a laundry list of faults??? It's going back next week to get re-tinted as all the tint is now bubbling and I have requested someone take the car to the servo or someone comes with me to see what is happening

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi Everyone,

Posting here as I'm not having much luck with google, I have a 2018 LT ZB Commodore I purchased a demo model and from day dot it is almost impossible to fuel the damn thing up. So the issue is when you put the pump in it will immediately click off... no matter how you move the pump around pull a fraction out or try and push it in, drip feed or even put the pump in upside down it still clicks off, you have to look at how much is left on the gauge and guess by the fuel tank size and the sound. I have recently had the entire mechanism replaced under warranty due to a 'material grade failure' due to the little outside flap starting to crumble and the dealer said that would fix the problem. It has not. Does anyone else have this issue or am I just the unlucky bastard that has a car that's had a laundry list of faults??? It's going back next week to get re-tinted as all the tint is now bubbling and I have requested someone take the car to the servo or someone comes with me to see what is happening

I find if it plays up i just pull it out about half way and it fills fine.
Some servos have pumps that are more sensitive than others.

zbownerqld666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Commodore
Hi Stooge, yeah I've tried that too with not much luck, upside down seemed to be the best way to go but after the replacement its worse... I have found that Caltex, BP and Coles pumps are terrible for it whereas the Costco and Puma pumps I tend to have less issues. Is this an issue you've had for awhile? My dealer hasn't received any other complaints for the same issue so am just trying to do some research

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi Stooge, yeah I've tried that too with not much luck, upside down seemed to be the best way to go but after the replacement its worse... I have found that Caltex, BP and Coles pumps are terrible for it whereas the Costco and Puma pumps I tend to have less issues. Is this an issue you've had for awhile? My dealer hasn't received any other complaints for the same issue so am just trying to do some research

It does happen but by default i just keep the pump half way so it does not happen often enough for it to bother me much.

My local servo is a caltex with older pumps so they do not seem to be very sensitive.

gem87

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Mine does the same. I found twisting the bowser handle clockwise 90 degrees (so its sideways) works great to make it fill at full speed without having to pull it out half way

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Mine does the same. I found twisting the bowser handle clockwise 90 degrees (so its sideways) works great to make it fill at full speed without having to pull it out half way

So many innuendo possibilities o_O

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I've had that problem with my VZ tonner. I normally have to make sure the nozzle is not pushed all the way into the filler neck.
One time at my local Caltex the nozzle trigger on bowser #5 was so sensitive it kept cutting off if you squeezed the trigger past about 3/4 of an inch of travel. I advised the checkout attendant of the issue. She noted my complaint and advised they had only just had all the pumps serviced and recalibrated. Next time I had to fill up I went to the same bowser and all was good, so most of these type of filling problems are possibly more related to the actual bowser than the car.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
My VF redline does the same thing. Luckily it works normally at the servo closest to home....... everywhere else it is a pain in the arse.

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV
I have a RSV liftback and have never had issues putting fuel in the car, in the manual it says to put the bowser nozzle between 2 notches on it and it never kicksback or stops. I did have an issue with the fuel gauge never showing full, this was rectified at my latest service in June, perfect now.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Hi Everyone,

Hi guys I've found that the problem (with a Toyota) is that the fuel is coming out fast and the line where the pump nozzle gos in is bent on certain angles (all cars are different and are bent to stop fuel from being stolen) if you own a diesel and go to a fast flow you have the same problem but turn it upside down it works because of the angle. I would say find the right angle so the flow is not obstructed or splashing off the wall of the line and you'll have no problem. Do not turn the nozzle to fast take your time if you turn it around to fast to get it to work it won't, do it slow and stop the pump and start it again at different angles you'll find the right spot. Good luck.