Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

issue with starting

Vs_96-ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I have a 5 sp manual 96 ute its a v6. It has an issue with starting sometimes, it has never really idled when cold since i got the ute 2 yrs ago, had this looked at by several mechanics who have done countless things to fix the idling but nothing worked so im happy to live with that.
Lately however sometimes when i turn the key the ute either wont let the key turn or wont actually turn over, the fuel pump goes, i doubt its the battery as switchng to a new battery hasnt fixed the issue, checked leads ect and everything seems fine. So could it be they key itself? and if so how do you fix that? any help would be much appreciated. as I said it only does it sometimes but not all the time.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It could be the actual ignition switch which is under the key barrel - they can disintegrate internally.. Also try pressing the unlock button on the keyhead just before you turn the ignition on - this may help with the problem if it's not switch related.
Re bad idling when cold - have they changed/checked the coolant temp sensor? - this tells the ECU the engine is cold and then delivers a richer mixture to the injectors when cold.

Besty

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
ive had similar issues with my 95 wagon not turning over when i turn the key, someone seggested it could be an issue with the switch on the trans so you cant start it up in gear

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hey mate,

I had this issue, turned out to be bad starter relay in the fuse box replaced and it never gave troubles again.