Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

issues starter motor

M

markgfield

hi, i hope someone can offer some help- heres the problem:
yesterday iwas sitting in traffic it was a hot day i was low on petrol, the car went b b b b b b and engine stopped. then when i tried to restart it wouldnt turn over. in the past when ive run out of petrol i can stil get the ignition to crank it over but now its like trying to start thats not in p or n. theres plenty of battery, as i tried to get a jump start- no difference and i put in petrol- again no difference. i can hear the fuel pump going. i checked the fusses, swapped relays but im at a loss now as im not a sparkie or mechanic. cheers

Melchior3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I had a similar problem when my missus had a Hyundai Excel, no spark, wouldnt crank and jump starting made no difference...

Turns out the battery didnt have enough juice to kick the starter motor, but I dont know why I couldnt jump start it, just odd really, because I jumped it a few times when the battery was on the way out and it worked fine.
I guess the battery was just dead.

How's your battery been lately?

M

markgfield

I took the battery out of my ap5, its 12 months old. its a sitting duck where it is, ive got to move it soon or it will get a fine or be broken into.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try tapping the solenoid on the starter motor with a length of pipe ...not too hard - maybe its stuck.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
mine does this sometimes what i have to do is put it in gear and turn the key whilst still turning the key put it in drive or neutral. Try that if it works i can almost garentee that its your inhibitor switch. Also you wouldnt happen to be parked on a hill would you??