Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

issues with 98 holden statesman v8 not starting and draining battery and now dying while driving the

Maree H

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 statesman Holden series 2
Hi there, I would love for some help been a female. Awhile back I had an issue with my holden. So a new water pump was installed, also a new power steering pump, harmonica balancer and all new belts. When I went to get it back from the mechanic it would't turn over after he had water blasted the engine bay. On return to collect car I also had to pay for a coil pack. Any way after that the car was having issues with starting etc. sometimes would sometimes wouldn't. Found that the alternator wasn't holding charge so purchased a brand new one and had that replaced. The car has sentimental value to me so im trying my hardest to get this sorted before I give up all hope. Since having the alternator replaced the car was not driven much due to it needing to have the breaks bleed as had air pockets in them. So it sat there for a 1month. Oh trying to start it again not power. Managed to jump start it. Drove for 20-30mins then to gas station to top up gas turned of car. Would start at all, pushed it out of way of pumps. Tried jumping starting and nothing! went back that night to try jump start it. And pop started sweet when jump starting. Anyway went to use it yesterday had to jump start it AGAIN. Went about 4kms up the road I noticed all the dash computer board flicking on and off. Then the engine light came on. From that point I tried to turn the car around as I did so the car died on me. We had to push it of the road. We left it for ages on jump starter leads and finally it started but died twice on the way back home with in the 4 km distance. the battery is new and a heavy duty one. Could I be looking at a solenoid issue? could the harmonica balancer be out? could it be the battery terminals themselves as they look a bit soft in appearance? Could the alternator not be working or not installed correctly by mech even though its new? im so lost right now some advise would be awesome thank you. Also i noticed the battery was taken out on a Monday fully charged put back in car on the Tuesday and car turn on straight away. We left the battery un connected to keep it charged. When I went back and connect terminals Wednesday it started I left car running for about 15mins again then drove to gas station. turned car of and nothing no lights no click not nothing!!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Try posting this in the VR-VS section, you'll get more replies there. Sorry I can't help you beyond that, good luck with your car.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
We can probably eliminate one or two things. The harmonic (no "a"at the end) balancer won't be the problem.

From what you describe your problems are all electrical. While the battery may be new and various other components have been replaced, the first place to look is the terminals on the battery. They should be unscrewed from the battery and cleaned thoroughly inside, so that you get a good contact with the battery. The battery terminals could also benefit from a clean. Check the condition of each connection on the battery leads to ensure they are clean and tight. Check the earthing points of the battery wiring and the connections with the starter motor. For reliability, every electrical connection needs to be as clean as possible and secure. Try these things first and let us know how it goes.