Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with brake lights - ve sv6

cozbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hi there, I desperately need help with my much loved sv6. the problem is my back brake lights are running continuously! during the day it is fine, unless I turn my parking lights on and driving lights. then the brake lights start flickering like crazy. also, when the lights are off during the day and im driving, my front dims will also light up when I put my foot on the brake.
I haven't driven the car for a few days now and especially at night because the last thing I want is getting pulled over for a defect.
would really appreciate your help for solving this issue (and hopefully its not a serious or expensive one)
thanks in advanced!

the picture shows what I mean, the brake lights are on but no one is sitting in the driver seat.

Attachments

• picture016.jpg
    picture016.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 884

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
brake switch on peddle would my starting pont, could be stuck/stuffed, to see it you have to remove the lower panel situated above where pedals come through, couple of screws and a torch to see it, wiring plugs in,

cozbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hey mate thanks for your help. it does sound like a good place to start looking. but I don't understand how that could also be related to how my dims turn on when I put my foot on the brake?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I'd be looking for frayed wiring or a dodgy loom plug etc., possibly around the rear lights.
It sounds to me that the brake circuit is some how coming into contact with the lighting circuit and there could be bare wires from each circuit coming into contact with each other.

Check for any wires that may be kinked or squashed and that the insulation hasn't split, allowing for the wires to come into contact with each other..
Also check the loom plugs. Especially the wires going into the plugs. Make sure the insulation on the wires are intact right up to the pins and that no
cross contact is happening.
Check the plugs for any pins that may be bent.
Check the plugs themselves that they are in good condition, especially if there are any outside the vehicle, as these can get damaged and get a build up of dirt and gunk.

Check if you can, the wiring inside the rear light housings.

IMO, I doubt it would be the switch as you said, as this would not be the reason for the headlights coming on.
but I suppose you could check it. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

cozbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
this morning I gave both youre ideas a go. I didn't seem to find anything wrong or unusual. but the problem seems to have fixed itself (for the time being, and hopefully it wont play up again). possibly could have been a loose clip or something?

again, thanks for your help. much appreciated!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Possibly. Just keep an eye on it and watch for any blown fuses.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I'm surprised nobody has suggested this, but I would check and replace both rear tail light bulbs.
They are a duel filament bulb, Tail/Brake.

It is common in any car the filament for either tail or brake to blow and bridge across to the other creating a short, causing the opposite circuit to illuminate.

Hence why your brake lights are illuminated at night while you have your park lights on. And the opposite during the day when you apply the brake.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I'm surprised nobody has suggested this, but I would check and replace both rear tail light bulbs.
They are a duel filament bulb, Tail/Brake.

It is common in any car the filament for either tail or brake to blow and bridge across to the other creating a short, causing the opposite circuit to illuminate.

Hence why your brake lights are illuminated at night while you have your park lights on. And the opposite during the day when you apply the brake.

NO THEY ARE NOT, the brake light and tail lights on a VE are separate bulbs.
Common for a dual filament bulb to blow creating a bridge I don't think so as soon as the filaments touche it would blow the other filament and they are staggered to prevent that.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Have you done anything to your electrical system, like a stereo or spot lights?

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Your right... They are staggered to prevent incorrect installation.
But if the park filament blows internally it can short out onto the brake filament, and it will illuminate.

0FE09A30-C76E-4D24-9500-1778E0D63080-300-000000DBFB86DB8E_zpsd99ce0ed.jpg