Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with Subwoofer Power

ggriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SS
Amp should have 8BS as a minimum.

Thats what I've installed... but.... the plug itself into the sub (built in amp) is a much smaller wire and this is the loom provided by Pioneer for it. So I did find this odd and put it down as possibly an advance in tech lol

Attachments

• 20220305_171307.jpg
    20220305_171307.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 165

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If in doubt wire to the shell.

ggriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SS
If in doubt wire to the shell.
Wired it to the shell. Seems to have no issues now thank you!

Just seems very quiet bass wise now, even with Gain near full (and avoiding using vass boost). Even though it has a SP Line input, thinking a Line Output Convertor may be the way and switch it to RCA. Thoughts on this? Just want to make sure its set up right and first time tapping into speaker wires too. Have always had RCAs in the past.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Wired it to the shell. Seems to have no issues now thank you!

Just seems very quiet bass wise now, even with Gain near full (and avoiding using vass boost). Even though it has a SP Line input, thinking a Line Output Convertor may be the way and switch it to RCA. Thoughts on this? Just want to make sure its set up right and first time tapping into speaker wires too. Have always had RCAs in the past.
RCAs are always the superior option to using line input so go with RCAs if you can.

ggriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SS
RCAs are always the superior option to using line input so go with RCAs if you can.
Since no RCA is from factory head unit I had to tap into speaker wires in door. So I assume a Line Out Convertor would boost this back to RCA pre-amps? Thats my understanding of it?

Almost there... just want to be sure before spending more then I have to.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Since no RCA is from factory head unit I had to tap into speaker wires in door. So I assume a Line Out Convertor would boost this back to RCA pre-amps? Thats my understanding of it?

Almost there... just want to be sure before spending more then I have to.
I’m not too sure on that. I’ve only run line outs direct from the head unit or RCAs direct from the head unit before.

If your tapping off the speaker wire I think your problem will be the current that’s bleeding off to power the existing speaker. You need a dedicated line out that’s not shared with a speaker.

ggriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SS
Hey team,

No progress on this yet. I have spoken with a car audio fella today who has suggested that it could be the remote wire causing the issue. It is currently plug into the RAP ACC fuse. Is this appropriate or would I be better used the RDO (assume this is Radio Fuse) or the CAMERA IGN fuse to tap into giving these will work on ACC mode.

Just wondering if the Retained Accessory Power alters once the car is running? This could explain why it works fine when car is in ACC only but sub starts having issues when engine is running? Just floating ideas but thinking another fuse spot could be worth a try?

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Hey team,

No progress on this yet. I have spoken with a car audio fella today who has suggested that it could be the remote wire causing the issue. It is currently plug into the RAP ACC fuse. Is this appropriate or would I be better used the RDO (assume this is Radio Fuse) or the CAMERA IGN fuse to tap into giving these will work on ACC mode.

Just wondering if the Retained Accessory Power alters once the car is running? This could explain why it works fine when car is in ACC only but sub starts having issues when engine is running? Just floating ideas but thinking another fuse spot could be worth a try?
Jumper the remote wire to the positive terminal of the amp, that will tell you if your 12v remote (RAP ACC) connection is the issue.

ggriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Commodore SS
Just tried it on the RDO fuse. Same thing, as soon as I started the car had an issue. Starting to wonder if its a problem with the sub itself. Will buy a multimeter after work I think and test everything.. running out of possibilities.

Lukesv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Just tried it on the RDO fuse. Same thing, as soon as I started the car had an issue. Starting to wonder if its a problem with the sub itself. Will buy a multimeter after work I think and test everything.. running out of possibilities.
Hi mate,
I have just purchased the same sub for my 2012 sv6 and have gone through hell with the thing, my one is doing the exact thing
I was just wondering if you were able to find a fix for it.
I have run out of options and was wondering if you had any luck sorting it out??