Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY driver's seat

Brad123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina Commodore
Hi everyone. I have a few questions about seats and airbags.

My 2003 VY Berlina's seat bottom broke, and is now sunken to one side. I got a new seat from a wreckers, but encountered a problem when installing it.

My old broken seat has an airbag. The new one doesn't (came from different model VY I suppose). If I install the new seat, the car's socket for the airbag will have no plug. Apparently this will trigger a "malfunctioning airbag" warning noise every time I start the car.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. How obtrusive is this warning noise? Is it continual, or does it only last a few seconds?

2. Will this warning prevent the other airbags working if I get into an accident?

3. Where exactly is this seat airbag? Is it in the back rest on the door side?

4. If it's in the back rest, is it possible to take the back rest off my current seat, put it onto the bottom of the replacement seat, then install this "franken-seat" into my car, plug in all the sockets, and still have the airbag functioning properly?

5. Is it even possible to take my current seat apart (remove back rest from base) without stuffing up the airbag or seat belt?

I've looked everywhere in my city, and can't find a proper seat any where. I don't know what to do. I can't keep using the broken seat, but I don't want to risk setting off some dumb alarm.

Thanks for any info you have. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Brad.

The airbag is set into the outer side of the backrest.

If the upholstery matches simply use the new base with the old backrest. You shouldn't delete something as important as an airbag. It's a simple matter to separate the old seat base and backrest without disturbing the airbag.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
First rule .... I hope you have connected the battery. The car will be OK sitting like that for a few days while you stuff around.
If the frame base is broken, better to swap the whole new base to your back rest.
If it is the foam that has sagged, swap the newer foam to your old base. And put a piece of carpet between the foam and the 'springs' to firm it up.
The upholstery is an easy swap, provided the bases are the same.
Fiddly job dismantling it all if needed to be, take your time and be observant where bits go.