Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Trac Off

Thanks fo your reply. I presume your reply was to me about the belt tensioner rattle.

I have experienced the steering shudder/noise and they have fitted the new style hose assembly to cure that. This noise is different to the power steering noise. It almost sounds like an exhaust pipe rattle/knock.

The noise is definately coming from the belt tensioner. I have observed it flapping and heard the rattling noise at the same time, by getting someone to load the engine, by starting to let out the clutch with the car in gear with the park brake on, while I was watching the tensioner with the bonnet up. There is no doubt where the noise is coming from.

The dealer agrees with me about the belt tensioner being the source of the noise. They tell me that part of the problem is that a different flywheel is fitted to the manual and there is a resonant vibration problem due to the flywheel. They seem to have run out of ideas, they have fitted a new pulley to the alternator with a one way clutch, and a new tensioner, the noise still exists.

It would be really nice to find a cure. I'm sure that the way the tensioner flaps away that it is not any good for the tensioner, the belt or the accesories driven by the belt due to the jerkiness/vibration caused.

D

drift450

VY V6:
Split radiator..... hopefully repair under warranty. Holden Mech said it was common on standard radiator.
Shudder at slow revs, (power stering).... will ask about warranty thing. Already been in for power steering recall for leaking seal/hose.
On one hot day fan turned off momentarily (was on full ball), then turned back on.
Stereo had a gliche, where the volume was stuck on full, couldn't turn it down. Turn stereo off and waited, returned to normal.

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
My VY11 25th Anniversary suffers the common clicking nose from the right side off the engine.My dealer said they replaced the lifters a couple off kz later same and it shivers .Sounds like the car is old its only done 28 000 due to its next service soon does any1 have any idea to get rid off that sound completly

KiwiSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Rear brake noise mod

Davo72 said:
Thanks for thew info on the rear brake noise. What was the mod that they did

Davo72, sorry for delay in reply. Spoke to my dealer (Giltrap Holden in Auckland). Apprantly the rear brakes have small brake shoes attached to the main disks that are used by the handbrake. These brake shoes can "stick on" causing the scuffing noise (mainly noticeable at low speed). The service guy did not know the name of the Mod - just called it a "Handbrake Mod Kit" - but he said most Holden Dealers should know about it.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
CNULTR said:
My VY11 25th Anniversary suffers the common clicking nose from the right side off the engine.My dealer said they replaced the lifters a couple off kz later same and it shivers .Sounds like the car is old its only done 28 000 due to its next service soon does any1 have any idea to get rid off that sound completly
Is that a tappet rattle you are referring to? I have had the same since almost new, sounds like it is coming from one rocker.

Had the radiator split at around 15,000km's, repaired under warranty.

Had the steering wheel vol controls going beserk, changed under warranty.

Had a slight steering shudder at slow speed, fixed under warranty.

Glovebox droop was repaired under warranty but still just as bad now - even after the "loosen and twist" fix.

Have just found out the noise at start up may be a warranty issue after all - need to book the car in this month.

L

lowvy

the rear power window switch's in my vy, the ones in the rear doors stick and jam in the up and down position. been through 2 in 6 months. just wondering if ne 1 else has had trouble with the switchs?

M

Mr Invisible 55

Wel my on my Vy i had to get the driver side door lock replace as it would jam all the time and it al so make a horrible shudder noise when i turn the wheel all most full lock and the door seals leak a little but only after ive washed it dont knowif this happens to anyone else it would be great to hear from some one else if they have all or one of the same problems on their vy as mine thanx Mr Invisible 55 :b:

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Does anyone ever get a slight steering click from the steering column? Only happens when you turn - is barely noticable. Seems to dissapear after a while... Annoying as all hell. :mad: I had the steering wheel and airbag replaced recently - did not resolve the problem.

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
Exhaust rattles

My VYII exhaust rattles only from time 2 time not da end its in the middle sum were sounds like a old VN only on rare occasions?does any1 have a solution i got told the rubbers mite be lose.?has it happend to any1

Burty65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0litre "Thunder" Ute - Auto
VYII woes

A great car, have had mine since August 2003. It was the first VYII my dealer received. Problems so far.......

sterring wheel audio controls misbehaving

ran out of fuel four times , with faulty guage, sender, computer

drivers door window seals poorly positioned

audio problem, whereby left channel does not work until player turned off then on

industrial contaminents on glass, hard to remove

concerns over longevity of trim near seat bolsters