Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
i pick up my 03 Vy berlina tomorrow, my first holden in 8 years, your scaring me guys as its out of new car warranty, but still have 3 months ststutory warranty

juzzac

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Hi does anyone have a issue with the engine surging/hunting in drive at idle with the a/c on ??? It surges up and down about 100-200rpm. 2 dealers have looked at twice each and don't know what it is. A holden engineer looked at it today at one of the dealerships and said he reprogramed the computer but it still does the same thing ?? has anyone else had this problem

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
VY V6 manual drivers beware!!

Marks-VY said:
Have just found out the noise at start up may be a warranty issue after all - need to book the car in this month.

Good news! The clutch pulley on the alternator has fixed the problem associated with starting the car. The loud "crack" which was being caused by the dual mass flywheel (V6 manual cars only) has disappeared and it is a very quiet process now, comparable with my Berlina auto.

I would advise all VY V6 manual owners to get the rectification done, which involves a new drive belt plus the revised clutch pulley. You may need to have your Dealer ring National Customer Service, as mine did not have any idea of the job until I got NCS to ring their Service Manager.

Attached photo shows the revised pulley (thanks Alan for the photo)..

Attachments

• Pulley-1.jpg
    Pulley-1.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 476

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Oil leak from rear of V6?

Has anyone experienced a small oil leak from the rear of the V6 engine? I was told by a reliable source (mechanic) that there is a cover plate with rubber seal that hardens with time and can only be replaced by removing the transmission.

The VY's are possibly not old enough yet to have the problem but I am not aware of any plate that may be hidden by the bellhousing/transmission. Was this possibly changed with the Ecotec?

Any comments? :confused:

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Mark, it will be your rear main seal, I had same problem in my old VS, gearbox needs to come out to replace it, easier than ripping motor out, holden just asks for your kidneys to fix it pfftttttt...the VS was 4 years old before it needed it replaced, mind you it was a rep mobile and it wasnt until the 100k mark it started to leak.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Fortunately it is not my car I am worried about. The mechanic I referred to was just passing a general comment about the V6's. The rear main is the only thing I can think of, although he clearly said a cover plate with a rubber seal. Thanks though.

MELBOURNE DISASTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s2 equipe
hi there have any any of you guys noticed the column trim behind your strrering wheel becoming looser after a while?

Ralph1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SSZ
VY V8 diff problems

Has anyone had any probs with their diffs clunking just b4 stopping? Just trying to have some back up proof b4 I take it to Holden.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Ralph1 said:
Has anyone had any probs with their diffs clunking just b4 stopping? Just trying to have some back up proof b4 I take it to Holden.

Yeah mate, this is a common problem. A few people have written in about it.
I had mine replaced under warranty in December. It's excessive "backlash" in the diff. Do it soon cos trust me, it'll get worse!! :)