Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
Holden have a fix for this. There should be a bit of insulation under the horn pad of the steering wheel. Without it the horn shorts causing it to go off.

Damn horn on my VY SS Series 1 went off last night at 3:30am.. and stayed on until i opened the car up and gave the horn pad / airbag area a good hit.. then locked it up and went inside and it went off again.. man what must the neighbours be thinking... :|.. happened 4 times last night! grrrr.. only thing i can think of is that i moved the steering column down as lowas i could get it and towards the dash as much as it would go.. maybe it doesnt like this..

last time the horn went of for me wa slike 6 months ago.. once while driving and another time while sleeping.. thinking back i think i adjusted the steering wheel then too... annoying as all hell when it happens as its gdamn LOUD!

Ute2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6 M6
I've got radio problems now.

Normally when I turn the car off, the radio and the headlights stay on (I've got it set like that in the menu) until I open the door. The lights and the CB which I've got running off the cigarette socket supply go off on the door opening, but the radio stays on.

I really don't want to take it to Holden as I've got the CB secured next to the airbag computer under the centre console and I've made the plug match the plug from the cigarette plug. Plus when I took the back part of the console off I snapped 2 clips and for unknown reason the lift up part will not screw into the holes anymore :S. For these reasons I figure that Holden may not repair the radio under warranty.

Should I give it a go?

Ute2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6 M6
One thing i have noticed, during accell, there is a soft grinding/tinkling noise coming from either the gearbox or engine at around 3500 RPM. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

Yep, I had this, its the steering pins. Holden will replace these under a recall, as was the case with my car.

vy low

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with there seats cos i just moved my passenger seat as far back as it goes but now it wont move forward.
whats the go with that ? someone please reply asap

antvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged V6 VT S
whats the VY models like for rattles? currently have a VT and the amount of rattles and creaks from doors and dash and where ever else is just ridiculous. any of these issues with the VY? thought they might have been put together a little better or something. drove a BA XR8 a few weeks back,and the ride was incredible quiet. not a single rattle.

tysonsvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute m6
I have the same thing, even AFTER a wheel alignment. I'm considering getting it looked into again. Is it possible that due to the low profile of the tyres, and driving on cambered roads would lead to having to keep the wheel angled to remain on a straight course?

One thing i have noticed, during accell, there is a soft grinding/tinkling noise coming from either the gearbox or engine at around 3500 RPM. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

wheel alignment wont fix this problem. the s/wheels centralisation is out. get that fixed

The Macross

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
Just had my 75k service on my VYII exec, they found the rubbers on the sway bar are worn, its ex cop with fe2.
machanic said they may or may not do it under warranty, and the door seal is stuffed too, might be a fight.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
My VY S2 Acclaim is quite backwards...

The left side rear power window switch is upside down and the left side front seat belt is around the wrong way (you have to have the seatbelt twisted for it to be buckled in properly).

Any idea what could have caused it or does this happen in these cars.

I got it ex lease so I doubt it would have been tinkered with. Other than that the other faults that will be coming up in the first service with me will be...

Power steering shudder (being leased through the tax office they wouldn't have really cared about getting it repaired even under warranty)
A slight knocking/flapping noise when coasting along at around 60. Sounds like it's coming from the rear somewhere
Recall that probably wasn't done - the earth wire under the driver seat - every time I get out I cop a zap from the static discharge.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
My VY S2 Acclaim is quite backwards...

"Recall that probably wasn't done - the earth wire under the driver seat - every time I get out I cop a zap from the static discharge".

Haha I got the same prob but in a VS - when I get out and then touch the door I get a zap!!!! Sometimes pretty nasty ones - not nice.

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
Holden have a fix for this. There should be a bit of insulation under the horn pad of the steering wheel. Without it the horn shorts causing it to go off.

I went into holden and was told by the service guy that its a known prob on the vy's.. he said there's a sticker behind the main centre part that gets old and the edges come away and curl up and touch the horn part and make it go pff periodically.. as the sticker has metal properties.. eg when i got my new steering wheel on i saw the sticker and it was curled up on the ends!.. had a gold metal finish on the back of it too.. Havent had any probs anymore so horn relay is back in!.. new leather steering wheel and matching 6 speed shifter and stitched handbrake all in :D