Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

RXYZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina II
Has the same problem in 2004 VYII Berlina 5.7L Wagon from new. Took 6 months to convince GM that it was the fan. Finally got a replacement and now fixed.

Also had sound like a squeaking pulley from engine bay. Turned out to be a broken exhaust bracket under front passenger area. Took a while to get it replaced by GM as appears a common fault and lack of spares.

Touch wood, pretty reliable other than those.

A great website. Fixed my daughter VS problems.
Cheers to all.

kave1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 v8 berlina
Ihave a vy series 2 berlina &i find the headlights (projector type) very ordinary eg. they cast a dark shadow on the drivers side about 5 mts from the front of the car, i'm hoping it is just a alignment issue.has anyone swapped the turtle shell engine cover over to the 2 peice items as on the vz gen3 to reduce heat sink. If so did you have any dramas with fittment. Cheers.

StillDreaming

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.7 II SS
thanks - central locks on my VY11 SS occassionally gets "jammed" using keyless entry. Locks only come half way up and need several goes to unlock or have to use key in the doors :ranting: - and yeah, mainly in cold or wet weather. have been meaning to mention to dealer and will now next service.

Another mod for the list - had an issue with "brake disk scuff" - if I drove at lower speeds with window down could hear a constant "scuffing" noise from all wheels. quite loud and annoying. turned out to be sticky hand brake shoes (or something like that) and Dealer fitted a mod kit for it and all good now. :)

Yes I have the same problem with my brakes and the hand brake always seem to need retighting and the sound is **** I also have the powersterring prob with shutter but I also had that with my VT berlina.:ranting:

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Here's one. I belive my front passenger window slips when the door is closed. When my missus get's in and (gently on pain of death) closes the door, everything seems fine. Then, when driving there is a noticable rattle from the left hand side of the car. If I lower her window a tad, then raise it again, no rattle.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

P.S, I also get the musty Aircon smell.

Emporer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8
Hey Guys,

got my VY about a year ago from the Auctions in QLD. has been great since then but has the following issues:

- Steering wheel shudders while full lock at low speed ( am told by my friend who works at holden that this is caused by the face the hydrolic line for the power steering is too short and that a longer hose would fix this).

- Glove box sags abit but not too much

- has a strange ticking sound (very low) when the AC is on sounds like a fan problem behind the dash.

- when i got the car the CD player didnt work was told this was a large problem with the VY model and was replaced under warrenty.

these seem to be the only problems with it and it has dont 20,000kms with me in the last year with out any other complaints.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
has anyone swapped the turtle shell engine cover over to the 2 peice items as on the vz gen3 to reduce heat sink. If so did you have any dramas with fittment. Cheers.
I've taken my turtle shell and I am putting on the twin covers shortly they should bolt onto where the turtle shell does using the same nuts..

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Emporer said:
Steering wheel shudders while full lock at low speed ( am told by my friend who works at holden that this is caused by the face the hydrolic line for the power steering is too short and that a longer hose would fix this).

- Glove box sags abit but not too much

Both of these were very common VY warranty issues...

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Indeed, with mixed results for the glovebox! :)

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Hi guys,
since picking up my vy S2 S in july 2004, brand spanking from the factory, (had factory sunroof and lsd ordered and also cosmo paint, which dealer had no floor stock) i've only had a problem with the front passenger actuator and now a squeaking when engine is cold. i've been told though that the squeaking is most likely due to the cold weather. i think it could be that, or maybe the idller pulley. is anyone else having the same problem?
The squeking noise...

Try the idler pulley on the air conditioning circuit. Holden have just replaced mine under warranty!

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
wheel alignment wont fix this problem. the s/wheels centralisation is out. get that fixed
A proper 4-Wheel alignment will fix this problem!
They will align the rear thrust line with the front. It will cost extra, but it's worth it!