Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

revs64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2 WAGON V6
not happy

have a vy s2 exc wagon brought last year with 41000ks on the clock.
problems so far, doors not locking/unlocking,power steering shudders at low speed,the chrome lion symbol on steering wheel is lifting off and has sharp edges and the plastic surrounds on the outsides of the passenger and drivers seats have broken off, it looks like another trip to the local holden dealer again while it has waranty left

bhl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Questions about 5 speed manual ??

Have just purchased a VY S Ute 5 speed manual. Overall really happy with it but have a couple of questions that the dealer disregarded as "normal" operation.

Not so sure so I thought I'd try to get some responses from owners. The wife has a VT Acclaim auto sedan owned from new, on the freeway it sits on 2000 rpm @ 110 km all day. The ute is closer to 3000 rpm @ 110 km in 5th. Also the engine continues to rev for a second or two when the throttle is released to change gears.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a manual as the dealer suggests, or is it as I suspect that the ratios are out for some reason and the throttle cable is sticking. In fairness to the dealer the throttle seems fine when the vehicle is stationary.http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards
Brendon H

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Have just purchased a VY S Ute 5 speed manual. Overall really happy with it but have a couple of questions that the dealer disregarded as "normal" operation.

Not so sure so I thought I'd try to get some responses from owners. The wife has a VT Acclaim auto sedan owned from new, on the freeway it sits on 2000 rpm @ 110 km all day. The ute is closer to 3000 rpm @ 110 km in 5th. Also the engine continues to rev for a second or two when the throttle is released to change gears.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a manual as the dealer suggests, or is it as I suspect that the ratios are out for some reason and the throttle cable is sticking. In fairness to the dealer the throttle seems fine when the vehicle is stationary.http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards
Brendon H

It sounds like the previous owner put a lower ratio diff in it. This will help acceleration off the mark, but takes away from top end speed.

pesado

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Exec Wagon
have a vy s2 exc wagon brought last year with 41000ks on the clock.
problems so far, doors not locking/unlocking,power steering shudders at low speed,the chrome lion symbol on steering wheel is lifting off and has sharp edges and the plastic surrounds on the outsides of the passenger and drivers seats have broken off, it looks like another trip to the local holden dealer again while it has waranty left

had other issues but the lock are still bugging me... in 3 years the passenger door actuator has been replace 3 times and the drivers door once...

right now the looks have all deadlocked.... only the drivers door will open fullstop

ADEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
when driving, there seems to be a small whine coming from the centre/back of the vehicle, possibly diff squel? And i get the scuffin sound from the brakes aswell actually, which is only annoying for me when i have no music on and the windows down lol..

GTRVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Just a note for anyone interested, I had a odd clunck in my old girl when turning and braking with a bit of force (VR V6 1995) and no one could find it (and it went every where) so I drove it over the pit at work and found suprise suprise, dodgy sway bar link pins BUT ALSO the rear engine mount (holds the gear box up and in) had one missing and one loose nut. I had the same noise in my 2004 vy v6 S and same thing, bent sway bar pins and two loose nuts on that rear cross member. SO WHAT I SUGGEST is replace the nuts with nyloc nuts and add 50% to holdens torque specs and of course replace those link pins ;)

kirko

Reaction score
Funny how the Lantra is better than the VY Wagon

Hi all,
Purchased a brand new Hyundai Lantra Wagon in 1997 and have only had one issue. Wore out the clutch last year. Not bad going and no grinding noise from front end. No leaking door seals when it rains, no handbrake scrape when going along, no grind when 1st taking off, didn't even have to replace the pulleys and it has done 200,000 k's. Yes these are the problems that I encountered shortly after buying A 2003 VY Commodore Wagon in April, 2007. (Privately)

The vehicle has only done 75,000 k's and I don't know how the original owner disguised all these noises as they were not there, at least i think, not there when I bought the vehicle. He swore blind that the vehicle was in excellent working order and nothing had to be done to it. I know what you are going to say. Did you have a mechanic look at it before buying. Well I had to travel by night from the midnorth coast to Manly and when driving it tried to have two local mechanics do pre inspection, sort of give me some confidence in its mechanics. One said yer sure bring it back at the end of the day and the other said yer in a couple of days will be fine. I was stuffed and awake all night so I trusted my better judgement and took it for a fairly lengthy drive, checked everything and could only notice the noisy pulleys at this stage. I knew it was only going to cost a hundred dollars or so as most of the time when a car is detailed they blow the grease out of the bearings in the pulley with the gurneys. As it turned out it did only cost me $140 to have 2 of them replaced and quiet as a mouse. But its the other issues that concern me. And now I have a new ticking noise from under the vehicle. Not real loud but noticeable.

Why did I buy the car in first place. I trusted the badge and just had third bub so needed the extra room the Lantra didn't have. Pity because I would never have gotten rid of the Lantra if it was bigger. Oh well that's my whinge and hope that my local mechanic can sort out the mess without having to resort to taking it to an expensive Holden dealership. Would I have bought the Commodore If I had the chance again. Bloody no way. All these problems and the car is basically just run in. The thing that puzzles me the most is that by reading this thread it seems that the leaking door seals is fairly common but still Holden manufactures the new commodores with the same set up seals and doors

Last edited by a moderator:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Sounds like you may have just got a lemon mate.

I'd still rather drive a Commodore with a few issues than a Lantra (uuuurgh) though. But that's just me...

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Second hand cars will always have issues and if the previous owner wasn't attentive to the small noises and signs of things going wrong then the next owner is always left to pick up the pieces. If you had those issues on a brand new car it would be unacceptable, but on a second hand one its just part and parcel.
Either way they don't sound like major unroadworthy mechanical issues so I wouldn't be classing the car as a complete lemon....... yet.