Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
The remote key battery has a very commonly seen spot welded tag used widely in electronics, you can still flip the PCB over and desolder the tags from the board, then fit a new battery. I've done this on all my keys over the years without issue. Cheers.

That would work, except the stainless steel tags were spot welded to the copper substrate, not soldered. Would be tricky to drill out, since the thin copper trace is way weaker than the stainless steel trace below it. It might be possible to cut the tags near the middle and solder stainless steel to stainless steel, but a bit tricky.

Rogue13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy 3.8l anniversary edition
hey guys just picked up a 2004 vy executive and iv noticed that when iv taken the key out of the ignition the stereo stays on and when i unlock the car i can wind the windows down with out putting the key in the ignition first. iv never had a vy before so im concerned about it draining the battery. can someone let me know if this is normal or not lmao

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^^^ Normal. The radio should stay on until you open the door. The windows can be wound down. Saves putting the key in the ignition and turning it on. And if you get out with the window down, key out and the car electrics shut down, not locked, the windows can be wound up by pushing the 'unlock' button on the fob, not having to insert key and turn on ignition.

Rogue13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy 3.8l anniversary edition
Oh thank you! Much appriciated

No9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S/VE Omega 60th Anniversary
Hi people need some advice and sorry if this has been covered before. We have a 2003 VY V6 Commodore and in the last few days it has cut out will driving, we get no warning it looses power to all instruments yet it will start straight away and continue. It is completely random and we get no warning lights. The battery is only 6 months old and i have checked and cleaned the connections, any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Sedan
Was thinking abotu starting a thread the Mods could make sticky about issues we have found with the VY'S that could affect everyones car and keep a record of the issue and fix.. this of course would be unoffical and not backed by holden or JC... Thoughts?

To kick it off these are the issues I have found and have been fixed...

Ones I have been told effect the range...

Front ASH Tray hinges need a mod

Power Steering rack requires a modification on most VY'S to stop SHUDDER at low speed full lock turning

Door actuators on most VY'S prevent unlocking of the doors esp in cold wet weather...

Door seal's can leak on some VY'S

More to come as I think of them...

I’ve got the power steering problem too. My boot latch motor has died as well. Throttle body sticks occasionally and the engine leaks.

Vanessa Williams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hi! I am having a problem with my VY Automatic V6. I went to start my car yesterday and contact retailer, check engine, TRAC OFF came up on my dash and the car would not start. I tried restoring to factory settings and letting it sit overnight. She started this morning and I let her idle for while. I did not rev the engine. It coughed a little but seemed to be running fine. I switched it off. When I went to start the car again she didn't start and warning lights came on again. I have no idea really, I have even tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I don't want to go to a mechanic with this, I can't afford too.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Unplug the ABS harness under the hood, videos on U-Tube to show you how to remove it, if it starts then its your module, but first try starter, fuel pump relay under the hood to see if they sticking, swap it over with headlights.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Auto ahifter boot shrinking and tearing off pegs on shifter plate trim. what i did was smother the boot in armorall, dissasemble the console to gain access to shifter plate trim ,remove and then cut some fin nail down to size same size as pegs ,on backside of shifter trim then used some epoxy resin to glue the nails in place ,exactly where old pegs were becuase they fit into slots over shifter console .waited14 hours to dry fitted boot holes onto pegs, then reinstalled wellah shifter without unsightly gaps in boot .

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
My mate has a VY with a one-way trip to the Moon on the clock. Right indicator gets jammed in the engaged position and you have to do a bit of arm work to let people know where you're going.