Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

Markvyssute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss Ute
Air Conditioning smell

When the air conditioning is turned on there is a strong 'musty'smell. Its only when the air conditioning is switched on and is evident when on fresh or recirculated. Smell is not there when air is off. Smell does seem to lessen after a period, or you just get used to it, not sure which.

Cannot seem to locate the source or why it is just air conditioning related.

Any suggestions?
Dead bird stuck in the front end haha

Gra Boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 V6
Yes. You are supposed to put a couple of odd, brown disk shaped thingies in the radiator when you replace the coolant. Supposed to lubricate the water pump. Non idea what the stuff is, it looks and dissolves like chunks of mud.

https://www.australianonlinecarparts.com.au/water-pump-lubricant-tablets.-vn-vp-vr-vs-vt-vx-vy
I have 2004 by & the radiator dip stic shows a dark brown/black type chunks of mud at the bottom, about 2cm. Iv been thinking a bout leakage from the transmission cooler thingo but I never have an over heat problem, in fact the temp gauge always shows spot on centre or lower even with a/c on !. So would this be the added tablets (or whatever) & a normal situation ?.

Markvyssute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss Ute
I have 2004 by & the radiator dip stic shows a dark brown/black type chunks of mud at the bottom, about 2cm. Iv been thinking a bout leakage from the transmission cooler thingo but I never have an over heat problem, in fact the temp gauge always shows spot on centre or lower even with a/c on !. So would this be the added tablets (or whatever) & a normal situation ?.
It can be various things.....mixing of coolants can cause the additives to drop out causing sludge,cracked cylinder will allow the oil to mix in with the coolant creating sludge or it can also be from the trans cooler having a leak

Markvyssute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss Ute
Not sure where malmensa is going with lubing the water pump....water pumps have a sealed bearing front and back of the shaft if coolant ever comes into contact with the bearings it means your water pump has failed...never heard of putting brown discs in a radiator in all my years as a mechanic regardless whether the bag of tablets has a GM sticker on it....I have never put any sort of tablets into a radiator...if the pump is rooted replace it...otherwise keep coolant serviced every 12 months

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Not sure where malmensa is going with lubing the water pump....water pumps have a sealed bearing front and back of the shaft if coolant ever comes into contact with the bearings it means your water pump has failed...never heard of putting brown discs in a radiator in all my years as a mechanic regardless whether the bag of tablets has a GM sticker on it....I have never put any sort of tablets into a radiator...if the pump is rooted replace it...otherwise keep coolant serviced every 12 months
Every 12 months, the coolant I pot in mine says every 7 years or 500,000 km.

Ethanol225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina series 2
Hey mate new here, so not sure if this is the place to post. But I just removed the whole intake and fuel assembly and cleaned and polished the inside and reassembled. I have two silver 10mm flared nuts left over and when I start it straight away makes a very loud whirr and get hen shuts off with a smell coming from the intake area that isn’t fuel.
Cheers

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey mate new here, so not sure if this is the place to post. But I just removed the whole intake and fuel assembly and cleaned and polished the inside and reassembled. I have two silver 10mm flared nuts left over and when I start it straight away makes a very loud whirr and get hen shuts off with a smell coming from the intake area that isn’t fuel.
Cheers
Nice.

Holden89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx Commodore v6
Hi did a engine swap for vy same year car cranks but won't start do I have to change ECU aswell

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Cheers

show us ya nuts (photo) haha

Tay1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey guys, I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem but I have a VY executive and some how when it rains the passenger floor gets flooded? I also found some evidence to suggest that there’s water getting in the glove box to. I’ve had a look and my partner who is a mechanic has had a look and we have no idea where it’s coming from. Any help is greatly appreciated!!