Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues zb

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Mine makes a slight catching sound when started cold, (not warm). Dealership thinks its the aircon clutch engagement.
It used to bother me a bit but I've got used to it.

ads_german

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - tried switching my climate control off before starting today and it still made the noise (goes away inside of about 10 seconds though). Not sure if climate being off would actually disengage the aircon clutch though?

Someone on a Colorado forum in the US posted this link: https://ww7.oemdtc.com/10308/engine...-pump-2017-2019-chevrolet-colorado-gmc-canyon, which links to this bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145465-9999.pdf and outlines a similar sounding issue in some US model utes/trucks. Although replacing the belt tensioner and water pump on his Regal apparently made no difference...

Will keep tabs on whether the duration of it at cold startup changes, but can't really be bothered chasing it much further given it goes away so quickly.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
I get more of a clunk than a squeal. It happens with every cold start. I have discussed the noise with my service manager and was informed it is normal. They say the noise is caused by the injectors/timing actuators being pressurized after sitting or something along those lines. I don't remember exactly what was said.

I have never had the clunk on a warm/hot start so I guess I could believe their logic. I don't like the clunk being considered "normal" but these DI engines do make a ton of noise. Here's a clip of what mine does:

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I get more of a clunk than a squeal. It happens with every cold start. I have discussed the noise with my service manager and was informed it is normal. They say the noise is caused by the injectors/timing actuators being pressurized after sitting or something along those lines. I don't remember exactly what was said.

I have never had the clunk on a warm/hot start so I guess I could believe their logic. I don't like the clunk being considered "normal" but these DI engines do make a ton of noise. Here's a clip of what mine does:

Thanks for sharing, that's exactly what my car does from a cold start but never once does it when the car is warm. I have no other issues, no oil consumption whatsoever after 32,000 km's so I have learned to accept the funny noise at cold start.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Mine went into limp mode at the end of August. Up until that point, I had been saying that it's the best car I've owned and was disappointed that GM had pulled the pin on this, but understandable if the general public weren't going to give a non-Aus manufacture Commodore a chance.

Anyway - the major problem here is that the local Holden service centre hasn't got a club what is wrong. They've lodged what they called a TAC case with support in Melbourne (I'm sure forum users here have heard of that) but haven't got anything back yet.

I'm gobsmacked that they cant work this out, surely if the computer knows there's an issue, the diagnostics would spit out a code and say what is wrong but they're baffled.

I did have a sensor issue back in 2019 which was easy fixed but the component wasn't in the country so we had to wait weeks for it to come from Germany. At least they gave me a vehicle in the interim but back then the brand was still alive and they were trying to stave off any disgruntled customers. This time, no such help.

I've been cool about it until now because I know the crap that people are going through in NSW and Vic at the moment, but surely someone in their team is able to answer the question after four weeks.

FYI - this is the diesel model. Apparently it's not uncommon in the Opel Insignia, it's possibly either an air leak or a crappy DPF.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Most likely a faulty DPF. I had a Mercedes diesel that did the same thing, went into limp home mode. Wouldn't make turbo boost at all and only revved to about 2,000 revs. Sound familiar ? Weird that it won't throw up a fault code though ?

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
That's definitely the weird thing re the lack of a code. I keep thinking that I might've had a better result just replacing the DPF myself.

The diesel variant is such a rare beast that I'm not surprised that the local service centre hasn't got a clue (regional WA). I'll ring up the other dealers in Perth tomorrow and find out if there's any available support there, considering Holden customer care cant seem to provide anything.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Apparently it's the injectors. Bloke at the service centre asked me how long I had on the warranty and when I told him I had a few more years left, he said to get rid of it as they've had a few die like this. Said there was one coming back in on a tow truck that was in a month ago.

Then started going on about how great the new Mitsubishis are (since Holden died, this dealer is now Mitsubishi). Could be talking crap just trying to make a sale.