Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It just stopped vs wagon

Yogi1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 2 v6 wagon
Today I was driving my vs v6 ecotec heading towards a merging lane. I put my foot down a little bit and then the car died. No lights no nothing. No response from turning the key on and off. I have just replaced the starter motor a week ago. I found their were massive arcs when I replaced the battery and still nothing any advice would be appreciated. Yogi

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
So no dash lights or anything? checked fuses?

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mate if you got no dash lights etc. then its got to do with battery and terminals. Sometimes the clamps that connect to your terminals are slightly loose you will not get power anywhere. I would check that first before anything

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Mate I would also check your alternator insulator and make sure it's still in good condition, if not there could be issues as you've described.
Good Luck

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Today I was driving my vs v6 ecotec heading towards a merging lane. I put my foot down a little bit and then the car died. No lights no nothing. No response from turning the key on and off. I have just replaced the starter motor a week ago. I found their were massive arcs when I replaced the battery and still nothing any advice would be appreciated. Yogi

Massive arcs at the battery indicates sumtingweallywong.
Maybe you have not installed starter wiring correctly, or, the starter is faulty and/or maybe earthing out.
Don't kid yourself new starters don't come faulty.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Check the main 60amp fuse under the bonnet next the main fuse box.

If its blown then something has probably faulted to do so, they dont blow for no reason commonly.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Second what VK SL 3800 has said. I had main fuse blow on my old VS. Lost everything - lights, power, steering. Did not even have hazards. Auto electrician found a loose connection that had vibrated off over the years. Cannot remember which connection though.

Redandy3575

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Vacationer
I had the same issue. Turned out that the positive cable running off the battery to where it is solder joined with the alternator positive lead had corroded to the point that it was creating too much resistance. So after driving a while the cable heated up to the point where the resistance became too much and cut all power to the car at random. You then pulled over and waited sometimes up to 5 minutes, or as little as 20 seconds til the cable cooled off again, and on came the power. Took ages to figure out what the problem was, even the RACV guy suspected something along these cables, but wasn't 100% sure himself. The auto electrician eventually figured it out to my amazement, he replaced the cable with a more heavy duty one, professionally re-resoldered and haven't had a problem since. But was a challenge to work out if you didn't know what the cause is.
So another one to tick off on the list of faults to which hopefully will save many commodore owners out there more headaches.