Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It will soon be time to replace the Bridgestone Turanzas...

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
...on my Calais V with its 19" rims, and although the Turanzas have been a good, reliable tyre for almost 50,000km they also give a very firm ride on all but the smoothest roads, and are pretty noisy on coarse surfaces as well. My main priorities for their replacements are comfort and quietness.

I'm considering Continental Sports, Michelin Pilot Sport and Bridgestone RE003s. Any comments on these tyres, or any other recommendations? TIA.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Re003s are great no noise great grip and wear. Local bridgestoBr told me 3 for 4 deal coming in nov

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Now I bought a set of RE003's … and when I was thinking about it, everyone told me they'd last about two weeks. Which I didn't care about because they're on a car which is lucky to see 2000km per year.

However, do have a squiz at the treadwear rating, it's about 200 where the others I was looking at were more like 300-350 (apparently those Coopers tyres made of rocks which dufii put on their gerlytrux & which don't allow safe cornering nor safe stopping in any conditions are around 600).

I can't comment on wear, they've not even done 1000km yet.

PS. If anyone knows (or finds out) how to get hold of these treadwear ratings that would be great, I struggled to find any (and only found the RE003's recently because Bridgestone uses the RE003 as an example to describe what a treadwear rating means).

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Thanks, gents. Forg, any comments re comfort and quietness from your RE003s?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Thanks, gents. Forg, any comments re comfort and quietness from your RE003s?

I'll tag @Forg for you mate, just in case he doesn't read the thread :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Dunno what happened there, but I didna get any notifications …

I didn't (and can't really) comment, because the NVH & performance & ride of a 1979 Volvo which is currently under "why is it vibrating like that?" investigations isn't ever going to be relevant to someone driving a VF. Not unless you intend to replace the drivertrain with something from a 60's Massey-Ferguson, and double the spring-rates ...
[but there's more grip than the 14yo Hankooks which I thought I'd better replace despite them not looking at all distressed & feeling supple to poke-at with a finger - and 3 of 4 of which fell apart on the tyre-changing machine apparently :)]

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
...on my Calais V with its 19" rims, and although the Turanzas have been a good, reliable tyre for almost 50,000km they also give a very firm ride on all but the smoothest roads, and are pretty noisy on coarse surfaces as well. My main priorities for their replacements are comfort and quietness.

I'm considering Continental Sports, Michelin Pilot Sport and Bridgestone RE003s. Any comments on these tyres, or any other recommendations? TIA.

I have ContiSportContact5P on my vehicle and in my experience I believe them to be a very decent tyre and worthy of consideration. In the dry and wet they are excellent. Road noise is on the average side it could be louder or more noticeable with an unmodified vehicle(currently I have a full 3inch exhaust system with heads and cam so more cabin noise than unmodified vehicle). I think I have had the tyres for approximately 22ishK's and have rotated them a few times I am unsure if they will get to 30 or 35K.

My next set of tyres I will try is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I think Pan head has them and spoke highly of them, so based on his experience I will give them ago or send him the bill after.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I have ContiSportContact5P on my vehicle and in my experience I believe them to be a very decent tyre and worthy of consideration.

I have these too as OEM fit. I find them OK, but the rears aren't wearing overly well and they are a bit noiser than i'd like. It's a bit easier to light the rears up than i'd like as well. And being staggered, I can only rotate side to side. There's a few complaints about them over on the HSV forums about them causing the car to wander a bit with a dead on-centre feel.

I have noticed this a couple of times, so when the time comes to replace them, i'll probably look elsewhere. Michelin PS4's will be my first port of call to consider I think.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
have the pilot sport 4s on my VF Calais and after the turanzas they are like gold.lot quieter and grip levels heaps better.havent had them long enough to know what they wear like really. have done about 8k and so far so good. i will get them again when the time comes.
cheers