Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It will soon be time to replace the Bridgestone Turanzas...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ All-wheel drive, so twice the tyre-noise.
:D

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
just like daylight saving fades the curtains more? when new they werent too bad just got noisier as they got older and by older i mean 10 to 15k .
cheers

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have ContiSportContact5P on my vehicle and in my experience I believe them to be a very decent tyre and worthy of consideration. In the dry and wet they are excellent. Road noise is on the average side it could be louder or more noticeable with an unmodified vehicle(currently I have a full 3inch exhaust system with heads and cam so more cabin noise than unmodified vehicle). I think I have had the tyres for approximately 22ishK's and have rotated them a few times I am unsure if they will get to 30 or 35K.

My next set of tyres I will try is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I think Pan head has them and spoke highly of them, so based on his experience I will give them ago or send him the bill after.
I have PS4S on my Redline. Best tyres I've had by a country mile.
The RE003's are good. Grippier and quieter than 050's. I think I got about 30K out of them.
But, the Michelin PS4S are 2 levels above any of those.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Good thread, as I was looking to replace the Turanzas on my Calais V, I too found them noisy on a smooth road, they have 49,000 kms at moment so not sure if they have been replaced before I bought it 7 months ago with 38,000kms, as they still have plenty tread on them.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Good thread, as I was looking to replace the Turanzas on my Calais V, I too found them noisy on a smooth road, they have 49,000 kms at moment so not sure if they have been replaced before I bought it 7 months ago with 38,000kms, as they still have plenty tread on them.

I got nearly 80k on my first set on the Calais V

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
... or grip, or any semblance of safety ... I now know how the dog feels when he’s trying chuck a quick right-hand turn on the kitchen tiles!

That's because they have more tread depth, when compared to other brands

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
If you want quiet you'd be hard pressed to go past Yokohama Advan DB Decibel.

I bought them in 19" for my G6E specifically for reduced road noise levels on our long trips. Very happy with them.

Couldn't find anyone with 20" in stock when I was looking for tyres a few months ago but would have if I could have.

e: oh, had done around 30K kms on them when I traded the car and there was plenty left in them.
I had these on my vx Berlina
Super quiet the most silent tyres I've had. No back end tyre wall wobble.
But they weren't the longest lived I've had.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Here's a comparison of two of the tyres you mentioned Sir Les.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs Continental SportContact 6

A point to note though is that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has now been updated and replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S, which is generally regarded to be better again by a margin. See below:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S vs Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I struggle to get relevant tyre reviews ... I’m generally stuck best-guessing.

Reviews from overseas aren’t necessarily relevant, because manufacturers sell different stuff under the same name in different countries. Then you get grey imports on top of that. Then you get differences between sizes, and differences between cars.

I mean a good tyre will still be a good tyre; but a comparison between two good tyres that’re close to each other could play-out differently on a different car in different sizes in a different country.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I struggle to get relevant tyre reviews ... I’m generally stuck best-guessing.

Reviews from overseas aren’t necessarily relevant, because manufacturers sell different stuff under the same name in different countries. Then you get grey imports on top of that. Then you get differences between sizes, and differences between cars.

I mean a good tyre will still be a good tyre; but a comparison between two good tyres that’re close to each other could play-out differently on a different car in different sizes in a different country.

Agreed. Can only ever use online reviews as a guide.

In general I find tyre sizes and options for the performance BMW's and Commodore's are very similar. Even though performance and wear characteristics etc can differ from country to country, those differences tend to be quite similar across all brands. So if multiple reviews seem to be drawing similar conclusions about a tyre's overall performance (traction/ braking/ wear/ NVH/ price), then it's reasonable to assume that manufacturer's tyre built for the Australian market will have similar performance characteristic differences to their competitors tyre's built for the Australian market. Then check local info to validate.

But definitely stay away from grey imports and old stock! Because if they're made for a cooler climate country or are getting old, they won't perform well in Australia.

Last edited: