Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

J-LED Custom Paddle shift kit

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Well I understand that part. But for the life of me, I don't understand why the dealer is unable to do it. Incompetency can only explain one part of it.

The GM/ Holden parts system lists the SSV Redline Sports Steering as an official accessory for the VF2 Calais V. Wouldn't that be accompanied with a How-To?

It would have been a factory option you'd think?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... The GM/ Holden parts system lists the SSV Redline Sports Steering as an official accessory for the VF2 Calais V. Wouldn't that be accompanied with a How-To?
There is a GM install document that guides techs on what needs to be done to set the paddle shift flag as active.

But what software and calibration modules can be loaded into a vehicle is defined within a GM data base in Detroit. The GM service tools use the VIN number to authenticate the vehicle and thus determine what can be downloaded into the vehicle‘s various modules using those service tools. I believe Envious Customs uses its own tools and simply ignores all that restrictive crap and force flashes whatever they want to whatever module they like.

So who knows whether the required module for paddle shift has been added to the GM database against your specific VIN... Maybe it’s supposed to be loaded and available to set active but some error has resulted in it not being flagged as available within the database for your specific vehicle.

I believe USA GM dealers have a process where some features can be purchased and the relevant modules linked to a VIN within the GM database. Sadly we don’t seem to have such luxuries down under Or maybe we do when some parts are purchased but the back office process is not clear and often fails...

Take it up with the dealer would be my suggestion (and if they have no idea what you’re on about... you have your answer) :eek:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Well I understand that part. But for the life of me, I don't understand why the dealer is unable to do it. Incompetency can only explain one part of it.

Probably not too many dealerships employ computer techs to be able to read/write to embedded EEPROM's.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Probably not too many dealerships employ computer techs to be able to read/write to embedded EEPROM's.

My understanding is that all authorised dealerships have the standard GMH Tool which can read/ write the BCM data. Knowing the how-to is a whole different story though.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
So who knows whether the required module for paddle shift has been added to the GM database against your specific VIN... Maybe it’s supposed to be loaded and available to set active but some error has resulted in it not being flagged as available within the database for your specific vehicle.

I reckon the GMH database shows this item as an official accessory since the VIN is linked to it. The dealership needed a photo of my VIN to check the accessory list.

Take it up with the dealer would be my suggestion (and if they have no idea what you’re on about... you have your answer) :eek:

Nope. I already gave up on the dealership dipsticks. They have no f***ing idea about this. The only thing which made me go to them was the price difference. Third party products are in the $700 - $1000 range (plus installation), while dealer was offering the same service for $500.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My understanding is that all authorised dealerships have the standard GMH Tool which can read/ write the BCM data. Knowing the how-to is a whole different story though.
They have software to activate/deactivate modules in the BCM, but it isn't capable of altering the source code in the EEPROM.
This is why its done by aftermarket sources who can crack the coding.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I reckon the GMH database shows this item as an official accessory since the VIN is linked to it. The dealership needed a photo of my VIN to check the accessory list.
Spare parts database may be completely different to the TIS2 database? which contains the software and calibration modules. There may be no linkage between them...
INope. I already gave up on the dealership dipsticks. They have no f***ing idea about this. The only thing which made me go to them was the price difference. Third party products are in the $700 - $1000 range (plus installation), while dealer was offering the same service for $500.
There was a service advisory posted somewhere which I mentioned here. If you can locate that doc and throw it at those dealership dipsticks, maybe they’d be embarased enough to get off their behind and resolve your issue.

Jayssvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VEii SSV Z

The GM/ Holden parts system lists the SSV Redline Sports Steering as an official accessory for the VF2 Calais V. Wouldn't that be accompanied with a How-To?
Does it list the SSVR Paddle shift (automatic) steering wheel though? They are different to the standard SSVR wheel.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Spare parts database may be completely different to the TIS2 database? which contains the software and calibration modules. There may be no linkage between them...
There was a service advisory posted somewhere which I mentioned here. If you can locate that doc and throw it at those dealership dipsticks, maybe they’d be embarased enough to get off their behind and resolve your issue.

I saw you mention this on another thread. But wasn’t sure if I should go there and waste my time again. Thanks anyway!!