Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jack points.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey All

Just need some tips on jack points on my VC, are the areas usally the same as the rest from VB - VK ? i know places for single jack use but thats for 1min or less.

I'm lookin at using 4 jacks and 2 car stands to replace 2 jacks, as i need the ride up on all 4's for 20.30mins less or 1 hr max. What would be the best places? would it be best to use the stands are the front or rear? "they all support over 1 ton"

I plan to repair my exhaust end and service my gearbox.

PS> Gearbox service question : Torque wrench can be brought from bunnings?

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
mate, you're a lot better off with 4 stands and 2 jacks instead of the other way rond, a car supported on 4 jacks is very unsafe...
as for the jacking points, jack it up by your front x-member, then place your stands at the strengthened part of the chassis just in front of your front door, it goes from your sill to the chassis rail...
as for the rear, jack it up from the diff, then place your stands under your 2 points (look like a U) just in front of your rear wheels...
This should hold it all nice and stable for you... they are the same points you'd lift it up with with a 2 post hoist...

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
and yes, a torque wrench ca be purchased from almost any hardware of auto shop, just remember, dont go cheap, the cheaper they are, the less accurate and shorter life they have...

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
As the above says ^. :)

I am going to be getting a torque wrench soon, and the only one I will buy is the Sidchrome 1/2 inch ratchet with nm scale under clear plastic on the handle and it moves freely and is a brilliant one. They are about $265. My cousin has one and it's the best.
http://www.justtools.com.au/prod2677.htm

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yeah, sidchrome, snap-on or blue point would probably be your best options, but like i said, you're better off spending a couple of 100 dollars than spending 50 bucks and getting the wrong tension on an important bolt...

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Thanks for the info guys

If i do go that way ill have tyers for extra safety + more jacks :thumbsup:

Or i just might dig a trench :p

Anyhow cheers

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
dig a pit... :thumbsup:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
dig a pit... :thumbsup:

My cousin did that years ago in his farm workshop. Spent an hour after school every day when he was younger and finally did it. Reinforced concrete with steel mesh and it was done. If I had my own garage, I'd do it! :yeah:

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
i'd love one, but i cant see my self to be motivated enough to dig such a big hole... i'd probably fall in it anyway... lol...

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If you do a lot of work on cars, you know how much of a pain in the back it is crawling under the car with about a foot of space.

Having a pit (or access to one) makes working on cars a breeze! :)