Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jacking rear of car uner diff

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Iv Always used the Diff, on the VR, VX & VY, No dramas at all :)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Hahahahahahahaha

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
If you want to risk damage to tailshaft, damage to diff mount rubber,damage to overextended axle half shafts & universals, damage to diff casing, damage to diff rear cover & oil seal causing diff oil leaks, damage to pinion front oil seal; sure go ahead!!!! My advice is NEVER jack an IRS vehicle by the diff.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Same - jacked commodores up under IRS diffs for as long as they have been around with no ill effects.

Reaper

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
its how i was taught to jack the rear up at trade schoool

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
If you want to risk damage to tailshaft, damage to diff mount rubber,damage to overextended axle half shafts & universals, damage to diff casing, damage to diff rear cover & oil seal causing diff oil leaks, damage to pinion front oil seal; sure go ahead!!!! My advice is NEVER jack an IRS vehicle by the diff.

How do you figure this?
You are not going to over extend half sharfs jacking from the diff cradle. The wheels will drop to their maximum irrespective where you jack it from at the back, even at the designed jacking points.
Its not going to move the tailshaft either? Its fixed to the diff, which wont move when jacking?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Alllllllllllso always use the diff to jack the car up (quicker for changing 2 tyres at once). Never had any issues with damaged parts as a result. Also never even heard of it being an issue until i read this thread.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Fail thread... Diff is the only place I ever jack any of our cars up. The diff would have to be one of the strongest points in a car, The manual your recalling would have been written buy some soft #### in an office, The sill points are only there so numptys in suits who have no trolley jack can change a wheel.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Same here never had a problem jacking up under diff
The car glovebox manual talks about using the jacking points on the sill but they are talking about using those stupid breakdown wind up scissor jacks because in reality how many people carry a trolley jack in their boot in case of a flat tyre.
Also in regards to using sill points how many people use the proper spacer block between the jack plate and the welded ridge on the sill.
Most older cars you look at have flattened sills from not using the proper spacer.