Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jacking rear of car uner diff

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Pj,

I thought we agree'd to stay off this Forum? For the reason being non other then the replies you have got so far! :p

I have had any issues myself, As states above it's a heap easier when changing both wheels (Trolley jack).

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
If you want to risk damage to tailshaft, damage to diff mount rubber,damage to overextended axle half shafts & universals, damage to diff casing, damage to diff rear cover & oil seal causing diff oil leaks, damage to pinion front oil seal; sure go ahead!!!! My advice is NEVER jack an IRS vehicle by the diff.

Thats interesting because the diff housing does not move up if you jack off it as its attached the car however using the sills the drive shafts drops down affecting all thats mentioned, as the cars weight is already on that point. My bests mates sons both holden trained mechanics and they say no issue so i go qwith them.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I've seen a car (thankfully not a coomodore) fallen off stands when some one jacked up one side using the sills, placed stands under one side and went around to the other side and as the car lifted the car slid sideways.
Luckily for the guy the jack handle sticking out jammed against a wall but not before the head of the jack had slid towards the centre of the car crushing the sill which was now bent it inwards.
Even if he had fitted wheel chocks the car still would have gone sideways but this won't happen if jacking up the car by the each end with chocks fitted to the opposite end wheels.