Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jammed ignition barrel

Waltersvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pac
Hi all, the barrel on my vx is just not starting the car, ive taken everything apart and put it back together numerous times, im thinking it needs a new ignition barrel, when things are apart, the switch works fine and barrel turns as it should. I recently had a new key cut. if it is stuffed is there any other way to get the car running? cheers. I should add it goes all the way to accessories just fine

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Replace the barrel. It’s easy.
Have a go re pinning it so the keys still work fine.

There are numerous threads on it and one is mine that I did a walk through on it.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
I replaced mine, then it failed again 2 years later, it's a fault in design with these barrells. They keep ******* up.

I did this from this video I found, issue solved, will never stick again and bonus is the steering wheel still locks after you take the key out.

Reactions: Lex

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Just remember, if you replace the ignition barrel entirely, you need to do the drivers door lock as well because if your remote fails, you won’t be unlocking it with your key… I changed my ignition barrel and took the drivers door lock out of my donor car as well but then came down with a bad case of the CBFs and chucked it on the floor in the back of my car, stating “that’s a problem for future riffraffmama” and like 2 months later, future riffraffmama discovered why replacing it at some point prior to that day may have been a good idea. Either that, or carry two chunky bloody keys around.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s easy enough to repin the new ignition barrel. It should come with a kit. Or buy one with a repinning kit.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

IMG_6953.jpeg

The walkthrough: