Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

jaycar class d amp.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hi,
i feel imbarrased to ask this but what power will the jaycar class d amp be putting out at around 13.5 volts? the amp wont be getting the 14.4 volts because of the loss over the line so how much will it be getting and then what wattahe will it be producing? i have a crewin vega sub rated @ 300Wrms and i want an amp to power it. not i know the jaycar mono block is a bit too powerful but what other amp in the jaycar range is suitable?
cheers.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
is it 400 or 800 W rms? if it's 400W rms i think it would put out 375W rms at 13.5 volts.

(400/14.5)*13.5 = 375

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yeh, its 400w into 4ohms, so aslong as you're running it into the sub at 4ohms, you will get around what dephilile said. only other amp is the 2x150 which actually puts in slightly more at around 500wrms, but you dont get the extra tuning options and its not made specifically for subs.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Personally I have my doubts that you will lose too much power. If the DC-DC converter in the amp is any good (the assumption that could be wrong) the rail voltage should be the same, thus the power should be the same.

Mike

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i believe he means the loss of power from battery to amp, not through the amp itself. last time i checked my jaycar monoblock it was getting the same voltage as at the battery, with 4g cable running from front of vn wagon battery spot to rear of the cargo area.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
My point is that if the DC-DC converter in the amp is any good, it should detect the reduced line voltage in compensate. Thus if the supply voltage to the amp is slightly reduced the amp will be unaffected.

With the caveat that I am assuming the dc-dc converter is any good.

Mike

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, no problem. im not sure how well it compensates to lower voltage, since my pc drains the battery quicker than the amps, so i dont run it much without the car running, so the juice is always kept up. i really need a deep cycle battery.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
hakhawk, it gathers the extra power for the rails by drawing more current at the lower voltage.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I think DC to DC converters work in a similar way to the coils for your spark plugs don’t they? An inductor gets charged, it gets disconnected and in order to keep the current flowing through the inductor it increases the voltage. You then need to filter the output to remove the voltage spikes.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
so what should i do 12voltking? go with the 400Wrms jaycar to power the 300Wrms vega? or look at something like a 300Wrms mono block from rockford?