Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jaycar Response 6.5" 2 way into VY Berlina

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Hello

EDIT: by 2 way i actually meant coaxial

I spent the best part of yesteday installing some Hertz 6.5" splits i had laying around but they sound terrible running off the standard HU. I don't want to spend the money or time with organising an amp so i'm just going to move the splits on.

What i'd like to hear from anyone who has tried them is the improvement over stock front speakers using the 6.5" Coaxial 2 ways from Jaycar? They're about $40 (not the kevlar variant) so i'm considering just putting those in seeing as though i butchered one of the stock fronts removing it.

Any experiences would be good, i have had a good hunt around online and can't find much on them. Response is apparently bang for buck but after spending a whole day with these other speakers and being disappointed i think i'll die if i install another set and am disappointed yet again!

Cheers
Seb

(apologies for the double post i put this in the wrong section originally)

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Unoforunetly without an amp, most speakers are gonna sound no where near as good as they can.

Buy an amp and install it, it'll take you less then a day mate. Heaps of guides on here. Pretty sure Jaycae do a nice amp 4 channel for $150 and would be easier to install then you think.

EDIT: the stock head unit is your problem, they output like 20 watts a speaker ! No where near enough. Upgrade your head unit before you look at changing speakers.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Cheers for the reply. I understand that more power will yield the best gains but for the moment i can't justify the money while i'm at uni.

Anyway i was hoping the Jaycar Response 6.5"s were low end enough to run off the stock HU but at the same time be better than stock?

The Hertz splits are too power hungry they literally sounded worse than the original speakers.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
I too would be interested in hearing how the response 6.5s go,

Ive got response 6x9s in the laser running on a pioneer head unit and they do sound rather good (clear and have some bass), but not sure about the 6.5"s

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Depends on what you are after. How they sound is ALL personal taste. I don't like their sound... then again, I don't like the sound of Alpines and some Rainbows. But I won't knock them as they are quality built of speakers. It's just personal taste.

But what you didn't clarify is what exactly you are looking for? If you want increased volume of any form, forget it. Ain't gonna happen! Infact (as you probably noticed with the hertz) there will be a volume drop. While not as severe as the Hertz, the same will happen with the Response. Quality of Sound should theoretically improve but will compromise quantity.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
I was hoping for more volume and better quality of sound but i found out the hard way how low the power output of the factory unit is so i understand where you're coming from.

It's interesting the Hertz sensitivity is rated at 92db which i thought would have been pretty efficient, oh well!

I'm just going to throw the cheap coaxials in and hope for the best i've already hacked up the original pods to suit 6.5" so there's no going back.

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
there is always a quick trip to the wreckers for some new pods and put the factory speakers back in...

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
You'd honestly be better off forgetting speakers and installing an amplifier first with a small sub. I did this in my car, which lets be run the front / backs with a high pass filter, cutting out pretty much all bass. They can go much louder and clearer, and with a sub in the boot for bass, youre laughing!

Even if you got a small 4channel amp, amped the fronts and put a small sub or 6x9's in your parcel shelf on low pass, will sound much better than just replacing speakers IMHO

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Also, stick with 6" splits. I put some 6.5"s into a VX and a WH statesman, and they're a pain. They dont fit in the factory pods and you will either need to make some 40mm deep spacers, or try and buy some. I couldnt be bothered with that so i just broke off some plastic around the pod where the speaker basket would hit, then screwed in the speaker suspended off the pod by 10mm or so because its a 6" pod with a 6.5" speaker.