Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JBL 6ch Amp - any good?

S

Sorak

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a JBL GTO755.6 II 6ch Amp.

Has anyone had any experience with JBL amplifiers? Or maybe can suggest an alternative 5 or 6 channel amp?

I'll be running Pioneer speakers, the yellow splits up front and the yellow 6x9's in the shelf. Yes I know... but the car came with 6x9's and it'd be a pain to try and convert back to 6".

And probably an Alpine sub...

Thanks,

Sorak.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
looking for alternatives, i know the alpine mrv-f545 is a 5 channel, and im sure there would be a few more, i think RF make one

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Ive Got a JBL 74.5 4ch amp 520w it cranks compared to my last amps....
JBL are good for the price, thats all i run cept a alpine h/u.
Im runnin 2 JBL 12inch 250rms sub off this amp and it runs them soo smoothly only down side ive found is the dails for gain n freq are a bit hard to get set right and are really touchy but once u get it set right the are a dream.....
If u really want sumfink good go aalpine but it costs more $$$....
ill stand by my amp its good doesnt get hot, neva had a problem,with it, not overly big and does a damm good job for the price....

S

Sorak

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I checked out the alpine and it's only a 4ch. I know soundstream make one in the 'lil wonder series. It has similar power to the JBL, but is about $200 extra.

calais_cruzin, I think you've convinced me :) The controls won't be much of an issue because I can control most of that from my head unit... and it looks good too :)

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Sorak , ive been running a JBL 75.4 and a 601.1 monoblock now for 2 years and couldnt be more happy , if you look at the spec's on the JBL amp's you would be spending nearly double that for an alpine (At RRP) stick with JBL you wont regret it , JBL make good quality amps sub's and speakers ....well thats another story

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
same specs?? looking at an alpine mrv-545 compared to the JBL 775.6
specs alpine jbl
power 500W(125x4) 454W(107x2 +60x4)
THD 0.08% >1%
SNR 96db 79db
RRP $799 $475

looks to me like you get a lot more from the alpine amp, and its certainly not double the price

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Well we would all like to get alpine but sumtimes the money just dont stretch as far....My next sub n amp will be a Alpine R type n the 600w mono....
This sub kills my 2 JBL subs so im goin to upgrade wen i get sum money to blow..... I recon JBL amp are a good choice for the price....

S

Sorak

Semi thanks for your input, I agree the Alpine is probably the better amp but the specs don't tell the whole story. I was worried about the SNR until I did some research... They don't really compare. The Alpine is measured at total rated power and weighted, whereas the JBL is measured at the standard 1W. So if you measured both amps the same way they would show a lot closer SNR's.

It's all a bit academic anyway as I am really after a 5 or 6 channel amp and Alpine don't make one that I'm aware of.

So my current choices are...

JBL GTO 755.6
Soundstream LW 5.830
Earthquake 900W.5
Cadence FXA-500

Last edited by a moderator: