Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JBL subs???

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
Are JBL's GT5 12-12" subs decent in terms of entry level gear??? I don't care what other subs there are out there for the same price, I just want to know if I will be wasting my hard earned if I decide to buy a couple.
Thanks in advance.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Nothing wrong with JBL IMO. Those subs are about $120 so not a bad price.

NonStick Squid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS Ute m6, VS Calais
jbl make pretty good gear for the price and they do look pretty cool in the 2 sub box you can get em in

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It's a bit weird that you say that your not interested in what else is out there. The only real way to decide whether it's worth spending your "hard earned cash" on one, is by comparing it directly to what else is available for the same price...

Couldn't really recomend them mate, based on a couple of things.

Low power handling is one of them. Now power output isn't everything and sometimes can have very little to do with how a subwoofer will sound. You can find anything from a $100 entry level sub, right through to something well over $1000, and find that they both the the same nominal output. Obviously though they will sound nothing alike.

But when looking at an entry level sub, i find it's always best to find a sub that will handle a higher rated input power, because you can only hope to get one thing out of an entry level model, and that's bang for your buck. A sub that will play louder at that price range IMO represents better value for money.

Some lower handling subs are specifically designed for sound quality applications. The JBL allthough a low power sub, neither targets SQ, or outright SPL, making it a little hard to reccomend for the money.

That's just my opinion and my advice, if you think they sound good and will meet your needs and expectations then go for it and get them, after all that's all that really matters.

The only further thing i will add is the age old debate about quantity vs quality. If a single sub dosen't sound to you the way you would like it, sometimes adding a second one isn't the best option. If you have one crap set of speakers, adding another set dosen't mean it's going to get any better. All you end up with is twice as much crap. (I'm not saying this particular model is crap, it's just a way of putting an example accross)

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Ive had 2 kbo subs where happy with both but found kenwood better and even fusion have good entry level subs

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
Thanks guys as always good, respectful input.