Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The current major iron ore producers in Africa are South Africa, Mauritania, and Algeria. Of course other countries have iron ore deposits, but these are as yet unmined or not mined on a large scale, so its not possible to say how much their miners are getting paid.
I'll point out that just as our miners earn a great deal more than the median income, its also possible that so do theirs. Equally, its possible that they earn less than the median, I dont know.

South Africa as a populace has a median annual income of $11,100, $213 weekly or $42.90 daily on a 5 day a week basis.

Algeria has a median annual income of $7400, $142 weekly or $28.46 daily on a 5 day a week basis.

Mauritania has a median annual income of $2,200, $42 weekly or $8.46 daily on a 5 day a week basis.

So lets look at the worst of that group, Mauritania. Mauritania was taken over in a coup in 2008, and the effects of that are ongoing. It has recently been estimated that 10% to 20% (340,000 to 680,000 people) of the population of Mauritania lives in slavery.

Monthly rent on an average 3-4 bedroom city apartment is about $500. Obviously, only people in higher income brackets can afford to live in a city!

So where is the $2 daily that Gina speaks of, and is she advocating Australia needs to be more like Mauritania?

Perhaps the $2 figure is the amount she PLANS to pay by opening up mines in some of the even poorer countries that currently have undeveloped resources. In the Congo, the median wage is currently about $1.82 daily. Thats because almost no-one has any kind of income at all, its a barter economy in the large part simply because there is no cash. Does she honestly think that average (mean) wages wont rise when more people are actually employed?

Simple mathematics. Lets take a group of 1000 people. We will assume that the mean wage is $2 daily, which means as a group, they earn $2000. However, only (for the purposes of this exercise) 10% of those people actually have any monetary income at all. The remainder use a barter economy, which is what happens in poor economies with the lack of any other alternative.

Therefore, the 10% of people who are actually earning anything are in reality earning $20 daily, not $2.

Now lets build a mine, and employ people at the going rate, which turns out not to be $2 daily at all.. its $20 daily as stated above. We'll build a really big mine, and employ 10%, of the nation instead of the 1000 example group, at the going rate... which is $20 daily. We will disregard differences in pay between professions too for the purpose of simplicity. Now, 20% of the population will have jobs, instead of the original 10%, all earning $20 daily. But the mean wage of the nation will have doubled to $4 daily...

Numbers are great things, you can make them say anything you want if you use them in the right context. Ginas $2/day statement is like that. A mean wage of $2 daily does not mean people actually work for $2 daily.

Last edited:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
It's not just her $2@day that pisses me off but also the thing about how costs could be brought down by using illegal labour in the US. She basically justifies breaking the law to make more money.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A further point. In Australia, we use huge machinery and economies of scale, with minimal actual manpower. The wages of the employees are not the largest part of the cost of mining.

In Africa, I make the assumption that with cheaper labour she plans to employ many more people and use less machinery? Otherwise, the economies of cheaper labour become pointless.

On the sheer scale of everything required to have a successful iron ore mine, I doubt its feasible at all to have one based on thousands of men with picks, shovels and wheelbarrows.

The whole cheap labour thing is a myth when it comes to the sheer scale of modern iron ore mining. The stability of mining in a country such as Australia far outweighs the minimal labour cost savings gained by attempting to mine in poor, politically unstable and potentially violent countries in Africa.

In many sectors of the economy, Australia could certainly lift its game, you would get no argument from me.

Mining however is as cost efficient in this country as it is anywhere in the world. High mining wages are commensurate with the huge cost of accommodating large numbers of people in remote areas. Does she want her workers to live in the Pilbara in a caravan, paying $800/week rent for the priviledge, and pay them $2 daily?

Even with the high labour cost ( which is more than just wages of course, its the provision of a multitude of services too... though this applies to pretty much any mine, anywhere? ) our mines obviously compete very nicely.

Just ask her accountant.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Most operators I know are on at least $150,000.

Unskilled seem to top out at around $120k.

Even the basic coal miner at a pit I was at 10 years ago was on around $120k + super + production bonus. More for miner drivers and longwall operators.

I am currently working on a job in the Philippines - the miners there are not on much more than $2 a day.

She definately has a valid point though - we don't have a monopoly on the world's minerals, and other countries are quickly catching up and matching our mining practices, for much lower costs.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
It's not just her $2@day that pisses me off but also the thing about how costs could be brought down by using illegal labour in the US. She basically justifies breaking the law to make more money.

I've gotten distracted by the $2 day statement but the thing I didnt like was the way she told everyone they have to make sacrifices if they want to get rich like her. Its not the 'you have to make sacrifices' bit that gets me, for many people I think thats totally true.

Its the fact that she has never had to sacrifice anything in her life, has no concept of what life is like for ordinary people, and tried to compare us as somehow lazy or greedy vs. an African country. This from a woman who seems to spend half her time in court trying to prevent family members from getting any of her money.

If I am going to get a moral lecture from someone, I'd prefer to get it from someone with superior morals to my own. If someone is going to give me a reality check, I'd like it to be someone who is in touch with reality. Thats my real issue with her. She needs to zip it.

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
What this article does for me is demonstrate how people can have the wrong idea simply because they read the wrong newspapers.

It can be worse than that if they are being accessed online and in a filter bubble.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
It can be worse than that if they are being accessed online and in a filter bubble.

And if that muesli bar/fruit cake Lord Monckton's(I think there must have been some inbreeding in his family) comments and (Va)Gina's moves on Fairfax don't give an idea of what they want here I don't know what does. As if anywhere needs Fox commentary dressed up as news and fact, it's unproductive and divisive and provides nothing but distortions. As if A. Bolt's barfing is not enough of the gag reflex to put up with, not to mention some others, they want to give us Fox! ****, even Fox admits it's not news, it's commentary and entertainment. They have to say that or they'd be pulled through the ringer. "We Report, You Decide."

Lord Sultana and Peanut:
"Is there an Australian version of Fox News? No. This is the thing I’ve been looking at in the UK. Frankly whatever you do at street level, which is what you’re talking about here, is not going to have much of an impact compared with capturing an entire news media. Now you look at the effect that Andrew Bolt had had since he was rocketed to fame – and I think without giving away too many secrets that Joanne (Nova) is going to do more of that if everything goes to plan – and that is the way to do it. You have to capture the high ground of what are still the major media, and I think will remain for quite some time. And until we crack that one both in the UK and Australia, we’re going to suffer the disadvantage over against the more libertarian, right-thinking people in the United States who have got Fox News and have therefore got things like the Tea party, and have therefore at last put some lead in the pencil of the Republican Party."

Sanity(Not S.Hannity!) save us!