Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by minux, Apr 4, 2011.

1. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    Amen to that.

2. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Considering you feel it is possible to save up for a few weeks to get $5k for a medical procedure, that is one helluva super fund!! ;) lol jk...

3. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    The CSS was a huge mistake that we will all pay for a long time to come. The following PSS is also severely imbalanced. The third attempt; PSS AP is still better than industry super but has half a chance of not falling in a heap when I'm at retirement age.

4. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    In other news......
    Joe Hockey sues Fairfax for defamation (Why didn't Gillard and co think of that wrt News Limited?) Listen sweetie if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen /end drag queen voice
    Abbott cancels trip to university apparently after seeing what happened with Julie Bishop...sure those students weren't well behaved, but Abbott has the AFP at his disposal.....
    Carbon Tax repeal was apparently voted down in Senate 33-29, stays in place for now......

5. vr94ss

vr94ss walks barefoot

Members Ride:
    VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
    Ever had a VE Series II Calais Sportwagon?

6. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    I guess living in lala land is something many int his thread do well.

What could Gillard sue for? You can only sue for defamation of the claims made are untrue...she had two journalists sacked for something the Vic fraud squad are now investigating and aren't far off laying charges...whoops..

Looking at all the rubbish being posted on the lefties pages..I would not go either, these are violently bored people living very sad lives. If only they could put as much effort into gaining full time employment the country would be much better off.

Why the LNP simply does not set the price to zero and leave it is beyond me. No surprise the "swill" once again voted something down.

7. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    This.

Why would you bother go? You know its only going to create a negative headline and achieve nothing.

I understand their anger, I needed Aus Study or whatever it was when I was at Uni for a period, but I also needed to work. When I was kicked off it, I worked full time night shifts and went to Uni during the day, it can be done, its hard, but thats life.

I also agree that we cannot end up like the USA in terms of further education.

However, something needs to be done about the people who just sit on degrees. Pumping out arts degrees and other nonsense qualifications one after the other or entering subjects that have very little if no future job prospects. Fund the degrees that have career paths.

8. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    On Hockey - well it entirely depends if they defamed him or not which the courts will decide on in due course. Are you suggesting the media have carte-blanche in publishing anything they want about politicians without account??? Surely if a beyond legal action, what other options are open to a politician - ringing a proprietor and getting the journo sacked?? surely not!

Regarding the Uni visit, according to Christopher Pyne, the AFP's advice is they were worried about the safety of civilians should any protest get out of hand and thus the visit should not proceed. Sounds like a sensible outcome to me.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Bloody marvellous country this. A whole nation votes heavily in favour of a party that says it will repeal an unpopular act and 33 people decide they were all wrong.......

10. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Perhaps the legislation is written in such a way that any proposed changes to an act have to be presented as a bill and go before the Senate for approval, in which case it would also get ****-canned?

11. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Pollishon

Are APS redundancy packages really so much better than external ones? The redundancy package on offer when I retired from the NSW PS in 2008 was two weeks pay for every completed year of service, up to a maximum of 13 years. So, maximum of 6 months full pay for "long" service employees. (Too bad if you had put in two thirds of your lifetime working for them - you still maxed out at 13 years.)

What's the APS package?

12. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    I'm pretty sure that is the case. Memory was a little hazy but I seem to remember there was a floor price of $15/ton (something like that) once the $23 became a floating price. This was when the international price was only a few dollars per ton at best. Pretty sure that floor price was by means of legislation (requires a vote in parliament) and not regulation (a bureaucrat's stroke of a pen to change)

13. Pollushon

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Your lack of understanding in how your government runs is surprising. You're putting all your stock in the 'prominent' handful you see and agree/disagree with. None of that changes the fact there are tens of thousands behind the scenes who keep all those for granted services running. Whilst I can't speak for all of them, many plod along with less resourcing than ever, continually improving how they deliver for survivals sake. Then you have the gall to infer those savings go in a pocket?

I tell you what, it's handy I love my country more than its often small minded, ignorant people.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  14. Pollushon

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    I guess it depends on the CA/EA. I'm not sure I can say much, but after 9 years, if I'm dumped tomorrow I walk away with a touch under six figures.

15. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Any savings from a cut in one govt department either goes to fund another or goes into consolidated revenue. If a pollie was taking it, holy ****, Grand Corruption 101.....

16. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Egats! something I mostly agree with.....

But sometimes a mature-aged person will want to study something just out of interest; I don't think this should be closed off but funding/fees could be reconsidered.

17. 50LTRv8

50LTRv8 Member

Members Ride:
    VT V8 Calais
    Wink Wink ;)

18. Jesterarts

Jesterarts Your freedom ends where mine begins

Members Ride:
    2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

The best bit is home the "typical uni student" is doing an arts degree. I just found that amusing as every time I see the protests on tv I think to myself "I bet they are all arts students".

19. Fekason

Fekason Fekason

Members Ride:
    2013 MY12.5 SV6Z + 2016 MY16 SV6, both manuals
    With regards to federal public servant redundancy, I had a friend who was long serving some years back get four weeks per completed year plus four additional weeks (in lieu of notice - just walk out the door without tidying up affairs), with no cap. That redundancy payout was in excess of two years pay.

On the other hand, the ADF figure has generally been two weeks per completed year, but I don't know if it is capped.

With regards to uni protestors, almost all were Arts students or the like when I was at Sydney University in the Vietnam War era. Medical, engineering, science and like students were too busy with classes to have time for such misadventures. Arts students generally had around ten or less hours of classes per week, compared to up to 36 hours for my engineering degree.

The antics of the Students for a Democratic Society at that time were hardly democratic. If you didn't agree with them, then you had no rights. Eventually other students reacted when the SDS decided they had a democratic right to deny access to the University grounds for a University Regiment Guard of Honour (all fellow students) for the Governor of NSW, Roden Cutler VC. When the SDS staged a sit-in on the road exercising their "democratic" right to do so, engineering and science students exercised a similar "democratic" right to pick them up and move them to the footpath. The supposedly peaceful SDS showed its true colours and proceeded to become violent against those who dared to disagree, and the Guard and the Governor.

I have since noted that this has been a recurring trend for the Left over the years. They tend to exhibit a mantra of intellectual superiority such that they show disdain, and even outright anger, against those who do not comply with their beliefs. I wonder if these latest demonstrators are still dominated by Arts students and the like, with a sub-group of left-leaning law students, as they were in my uni days?

20. 50LTRv8

50LTRv8 Member

Members Ride:
    VT V8 Calais
    Please tell that to my wife doing an IT degree. Has been doing it over the last 10 years on and off due to having a family and vast streches of morning sickness. Now the % is charged on her HECS loan for all the previous subjects she has done. How are people doing degrees going to be able to afford them now. She will be in debt for the long term, and it affects all sorts of things, credit rating, house loans ect.

You should be allowed to get your first degree on the current system and then any further degrees as full fee. The payoff for the govenment is the higher taxes that a degree qualified person generally pays.