Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I no longer watch TV news, I will listen to radio news or read it on the net, or read the paper (unfortunately though we still get the daily telegraph for some reason - a real s**t sandwich!!). Anyway, much of the 'news' we get is just airy-fairy fluff, a distraction from the real issues we face as a species - resource depletion, human exploitation and rights abuses, cancer, obesity, war. There is room for investigative journalism in the media, but it seems to be focused on fat kids, dodgy builders, the best buys in face cream, or combinations thereof.

Anyway, back to politics - I agree with Drawnrite; many of the folks on our council are developers. This is a common known fact, and many are irritated by it. I had a go at council (didn't get in myself but our no.1 on our ticket did), in my first ever paper interview I said I was a 'regular joe, not a real estate agent or developer'. Well....I got a letter from one of the councillors (who is a developer/agent) asking why I said such a thing, that he wasn't a developer (bulls**t!) and that we 'respect eachother's occupation's'. OOh dear, I hit a nerve... :p as a councillor a developer can rubber-stamp all sorts of development that is not within community's interests.

Firstly, I have to declare a bias here. I am currently have a couple of developments of my own on the go and my business heavily depends on the building industry.

That said, town planners and councils have to make a choice. Allow the suburban sprawl extend ad infinitum or allow more medium and high density developments to occur near our major town/city centres. There are *many* advantages of medium/high density living and one of the big ones making capex expenditure on public/mass transit getting the absolute maximum bang for buck. Sustained low growth is necessary for communities to thrive and they have to live somewhere, We just need to make the choice. Sydney is a prime case - Sprawl has gone beyond a joke. Encourage more medium/high density living from the core which allows for growth, improves return from mass transit (and other public infrastructure) and reduce urban sprawl leaving rural Australia to nature and agriculture for far longer then the alternative.

Reaper

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
And how would you rate the ABC when it comes to bias reporting?

Substantially better than the Alan Jones network :)

You actually get a lot of input from both sides on the ABC, via regular interview panels of people from both sides. Individual presenters certainly have their own leanings too, in both directions, and push those views within certain boundaries, but on balance I believe the ABC to be reasonably unbiased.

The bottom line here though is that I don't get all my news from the same source. I hear what is current via the ABC, without having to listen to an expose on the hazards of microbes on my kitchen bench, and then I seek further information on the subjects that interest me online.. via sources from every part of the political spectrum.

I don't believe any news source is totally unbiased, you have to look at them all and form your own view.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Substantially better than the Alan Jones network :)

You actually get a lot of input from both sides on the ABC, via regular interview panels of people from both sides. Individual presenters certainly have their own leanings too, in both directions, and push those views within certain boundaries, but on balance I believe the ABC to be reasonably unbiased.

ahahahahaha your shitting me right??? ABC is as left as Jones is right. No iffs buts or maybes. From what little I have heard, 2GB is as right as they come. I have listened to ABC quite often and they are waaaay left. In the Melbourne market, ABC & the Age newspaper are very left. We don't have anything approaching the crazy right ever since MTR bit the dust.

The bottom line here though is that I don't get all my news from the same source. I hear what is current via the ABC, without having to listen to an expose on the hazards of microbes on my kitchen bench, and then I seek further information on the subjects that interest me online.. via sources from every part of the political spectrum.

I don't believe any news source is totally unbiased, you have to look at them all and form your own view.

On that we agree. At the very least, political news is as biased as the reporter, and often what the proprietor wants. I think things have improved though. Go back 40+ years and the likes of Frank Packer were blatant in their bias. These days I don't think it happens to anywhere near the same extent. At the worst the proprietors do get their message across under the banner of editorial comment which is really an opinion piece and their own prerogative. As long as the reader keeps in mind that it is opinion, I have no problem with that.

Reaper

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
not all the ABC is politically biased reap.

dont think ive ever heard them say anything about political parties or policies or anything on Triple J
unless of course they are having a joke about what politicians have said/done in the past few days.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
not all the ABC is politically biased reap.

dont think ive ever heard them say anything about political parties or policies or anything on Triple J
unless of course they are having a joke about what politicians have said/done in the past few days.

I do admit that Triple J is a station that I rarely (lets just go with never) listen to. Their more talk back/news stations are as left as they come.

Reaper

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
thanks fella's for pointing out my spelling mistake, i am informed enough too know that Germany is again showing who's the boss in europe whie the poms worry about which royals dick or tits are on display. this is what we asspire to with our pathetic groveling excuse for GOV of both parties.Anyone can look up stats, in canberra they look up skirts.PS to DAKSTER, the lunitics are still on the grass.

Germany again showing who's the boss? When exactly did this happen before?

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
well consider the so called finacial crisis in the europian economy and Germany is again kicking ass (greece), looks like spain's next, think 1930=1945.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
well consider the so called finacial crisis in the europian economy and Germany is again kicking ass (greece), looks like spain's next, think 1930=1945.

1930-1945...when Germany was under severe financial restriction put on them after WW1? And they then managed to lose the war they started and become occupied, and have their country split into two halves and 4 zones, causing irreperable psycological damage for many residents trapped on each side of the wall.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

As Jezza Clarkson would say its when some disgruntled Austrian non-Ayrian artist went from Berlin to Warsaw in one tank......

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
1930-1945...when Germany was under severe financial restriction put on them after WW1? And they then managed to lose the war they started and become occupied, and have their country split into two halves and 4 zones, causing irreperable psycological damage for many residents trapped on each side of the wall.

Indeed, 20th Century Germany = EPIC FAIL.......